Opinions of E39 5 Series?

TDIQ

8L > 8P > 8V
Reaction score
Specifically the oil burners? Considering one instead of an 8P TDI. Still looks decent but not sure if it'll be a bit too big for my likes.

What're they like to drive?

Nice to drive and decent economy, and yes, they are quite big, but the handling is very good for the size of them! For me though, unless it's an M5, I can't see myself buying one soon!! :racer:

Too big to drive and too big for what I need. It's mainly just me in the car, but I may be able to swap my A3 and a small bit of cash for a 525D Manual SE, 2002 in black. I wouldn't be able to get an 8P TDI for at least a year though and if I can swap it could be in the next month or so so wondered what people though of them.

The insurance is a on 5 is actually better than the 3 series, and it's really only an option 'cos the swap. I might test drive it and see what I think, if not I can wait for an 8P when money allows. There's quite a difference in size it appears but from what I've read the 5 is a really well built car.

Is there not a problem with the swirl flaps on these? they break off and fall into the cobustion chamber and f**ks the engine??

Swirl flaps only on the autos. I wouldn't want the auto box anyway, it's made by GM and if you remap the 530d it can struggle with the torque.

You can blank the flaps anyway, but if you dont then yes, they can get sucked into the engine and you'll have some huge bill.

E39's are superb cars, 5 series completely different class to the 3 series. Regarding swirl flaps, yes this is a problem but easy resolved by a removal kit. I would go back to a Petrol e39 if petrol wasn't so expensive, one of the best cars of all time. Time to be flamed!!

id really like an e46 330d 3 series touring.
but e39s are solid cars. they dont feel big to drive. 330d engine is great!

i thought the inlet flaps breaking up is only on the 4 cyl diesels? 320d...