Monster MotorsportJMB Retrofits
    1st Gear

Status

Post one tip you have been given by someone in the trade.

In my last few MOT's i have had brake caliper sticking issues. I asked my local mechanic about this. His reply.

"Every now and then, find a bit of quiet road, speed up to 60 mph (ish) and slam the brakes on. Do this a few times"

He reckons that people using their gears to slow down, and a general steadiness in modern driving is leading to more and more calipers seizing.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Yorkshire & Humber Rep.

Status
    dont eat yellow snow

Defo worth the wait :)

Status
    When washing your hands after working on the car, put a spoon full of sugar in the handwash, works a treat to clean your hands leaving them all fairy soft!!!

MAN OF STEEL

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by nilz18t View Post
    When washing your hands after working on the car, put a spoon full of sugar in the handwash, works a treat to clean your hands leaving them all fairy soft!!!
    i use salt

6th Gear

Status
    One that I was told the other week and this maybe common knowledge but I never knew this...

When drilling holes and using raw plugs, the hole that is at the end of the pack holding all the plugs together is the right size hole for the drill bit needed...

Never knew this, always used to put the plug and the bit together and look by eye, lol
    revo'd

6th Gear

Status
    I dont quite know what the hell that's got to do with the motor trade though !
    revo'd

2010 Facelift!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by leggy View Post
    One that I was told the other week and this maybe common knowledge but I never knew this...

When drilling holes and using raw plugs, the hole that is at the end of the pack holding all the plugs together is the right size hole for the drill bit needed...

Never knew this, always used to put the plug and the bit together and look by eye, lol
    Haha, never realised that either... thanks alot

flat out

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_r View Post
    In my last few MOT's i have had brake caliper sticking issues. I asked my local mechanic about this. His reply.

"Every now and then, find a bit of quiet road, speed up to 60 mph (ish) and slam the brakes on. Do this a few times"

He reckons that people using their gears to slow down, and a general steadiness in modern driving is leading to more and more calipers seizing.

worth noting that you should never slow to a standstill when doing this only to about 10mph otherwise you risk burning the pads or warping the discs!
    2001 1.8T B5 Black A4 Avant Votex kit and Ecru Leather

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    I'd also not "SLAM" them on either, you want to brake firmly but progressivley as you dont want to lock the wheels up. Also a good idea to have a long drive afterwards with minimal braking to cool them down.

2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build