New MOT Legislations

ScottD3

I want your faulty electronics
Supporter
Reaction score
Website
wheelsnwires.blogspot.com
Any one else read or heard about the change to the MOT test?

My dad mentioned it to me the other day..
I had a quick search found some forum posts and the below link.

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:2010:173:0074:0096:EN:PDF

If this document is what the MOT tests will be doing in the future, it looks like alot of our cars will fail future MOTs.
If i'm reading this right. I might wrong and nothing will happen.

Thought i'd pass it on.
Sorry if its a repost or old news.

Below is snippets from the documents.

4.12. Non-obligatory lamps and retro-reflectors
(a) A lamp/retro-reflector fitted not in accordance
with the requirements.
(b) Lamp operation not in accordance with the
requirements.
(c) Lamp/retro-reflector not securely attached.
6.1.9. Engine performance
(a) Control unit illegal modified.
(b) Illegal engine modification.
7.1.5. Airbag
(a) Airbags obviously missing or not suitable with the vehicle.
(b) Airbag obviously non-operative.
7.1.6. SRS Systems
SRS MIL indicates any kind of failure of the system.
7.2. Fire extinguisher
(a) Missing.
(b) Not in accordance with the requirements.
7.3. Locks and anti-theft device
(a) Device not functioning to prevent vehicle being driven.
(b) Defective or inadvertently locking or blocking​

Heard about this myself the other day, once again our European friends doing us a favour. I'd be interested to know what all these re-mapping companies thought about it and how they're gonna get around it cos i'm sure they'll find a way. I found this snippet of information and it sounds like VOSA themselves are struggling to find a way to test for extra power so who knows it might fall by the wayside.
http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/repository/MoT - Issue 48 - Oct 2010.pdf

Surely, the new MOT legislations are only applicable to cars purchased after the date it is introduced, as they can't enforce emmisions on cars before the new emmision laws came into practice. They can't just make our cars illegal overnight? Plus cars that are already remapped are accepted by insurance companies already, you think they will just stop insuring us? Too much money to be lost if that's the case.

Perhaps these new rules apply more to some European countries rather than the UK. I know that in Germany any modification to a car has to use parts that have been TUV approved for that particular model or the car has to be submitted for TUV approval once the mods have been completed. It is illegal to drive a car that has been modified and not TUV approved.

If any of them are applicable to the UK then, in the case of any modifications they can only be applied to mods done after the date the new regulations were introduced.

Here some further details relating to the changes in the MOT requirements issued by the VOSA...

The car/light goods vehicle MOT test is about to change – the European Commission has changed the Directive that covers it. We take a look at when these changes are likely to come into effect and what they mean for MOT testers.

Britain has been testing vehicles under the MOT scheme for 50 years now. Last year, the European Directive covering the MOT test was updated and revised by a modern version called 2009/40/ EC. This was then updated by 2010/48/EU, which was ratified on 5 July this year.

The new Directive keeps the EU minimum 4-2-2 test frequency but adds a number of new elements to the British MOT test. The Directive anticipates all test changes being in place by 1 January 2012, and a common European approach to test certificates in place by 1 January 2014.

So what is VOSA doing to introduce the changes?

In terms of test frequency, in mid-July the coalition government confirmed that it intends ‘to look at the issue of MOT test frequencies later this year’. VOSA contributed statistical data to inform the last review in 2008, and we expect that our computer system and the data you have entered will be utilised again in much the same way.
We expect to hear more details of the government’s review proposals later in the year.

As far as changes to the test content are concerned, VOSA has already been analysing the requirements of the new Directive and working out how to implement them. We started this earlier in the year by talking with representatives of the MOT trade at our regular Trade User Group and VTS Council meetings. Both VOSA and the Department for Transport (DfT) are keen to ensure that any changes to the test are introduced in as practical a way as possible, keeping the burden on the trade to a minimum and ideally keeping the changes cost neutral.

In many cases, the changes shouldn’t necessarily lead to an increase in average test times. A good example is the malfunction indicator lamps on the dashboard that indicate defective electronic power steering, electronic stability control and secondary restraint systems. Testers already check the dashboard for other lamps, so no extra time would be required for this addition to the test.

Electrical wiring and batteries are now included in the test’s scope, but testers already check the vehicle structure where wiring is secured – often along the same routes as other testable items, such as brake pipes in the engine compartment. So again, this doesn’t look like an additional burden on the tester. In the pre-computerisation days, testers often (wrongly) failed vehicles for insecure batteries, so they must have been looking at them then! Now, it means that when we implement the new Directive, vehicles can legitimately fail for battery insecurity, for no extra tester effort.

Other items – such as headlamp bulb and unit incompatibility, headlamp levelling devices and illegal engine ‘chipping’ – will need further thought before we can get a workable solution for MOT stations.

Some of the new items may require extra effort on the part of the tester – when we know for sure what that is we’ll be talking again with our trade and DfT colleagues to work out what the impact will be.

The common EU test certificate should be relatively easy to achieve – the only data that the Directive expects and that we don’t currently provide is the symbol for the vehicle’s country of origin. Probably 99% of vehicles tested will have ‘UK’ entered here, but if you do test vehicles with a foreign plate, you will need to enter the correct country symbol. We may even be able to make this change earlier if there is a convenient opportunity.

The MOT trade can rest assured that VOSA is working closely with you to introduce any new elements as efficiently and effectively as possible, with the minimum of fuss. Just as importantly, we are also working closely with Siemens to ensure that any system changes due on New Year’s Eve 2011 go smoothly! We should know more by the time the MOT seminars take place – come along and ask the experts.

It seems that these will become effective from 1 January 2012. Personally I'm pleased to see the item about headlamp bulb and unit incompatibility and headlamp levelling devices being included. This should mean that on OEM Xenons fitted correctly will pass the test.

No doubt we will hear more about this as the year goes on. Perhaps our testing requirements will become as good as the those in the country where our cars are made.

insecure batteries should fail an mot imo. as should defective spare wheels....

oh dear, airbag lights failing mots.

as a tester i too am interested in how we are supposed to test for "illegal" chipping and engine mods. and also what constitutes "illegal"?

are we supposed to strip into the car to check to see if the ecu has been opened?
or do we drive it round the block to see if it "feels" faster?

is all this tripe definatly coming in then? i havnt read any special notices on it as yet?

Last edited:
Im a tester myself and am all for poor image retro fitted HID's but the "illegal" chipping has no leg to stand on because as long as it passes its required emissions test you have no ground to fail it on any other means and why else would you?!

insecure batteries should fail an mot imo. as should defective spare wheels....

oh dear, airbag lights failing mots.

as a tester i too am interested in how we are supposed to test for "illegal" chipping and engine mods. and also what constitutes "illegal"?

are we supposed to strip into the car to check to see if the ecu has been opened?
or do we drive it round the block to see if it "feels" faster?

is all this tripe definatly coming in then? i havnt read any special notices on it as yet?

If you read the article properly you will see that the VOSA are current looking at how this directive affects the UK and consulting with others as to how and when it can be implemented.

Also the front fogs will need to be YELLOW, iv headed this one off by fitting yellow window film over the lamp lenses,

Why would front fogs need to be yellow?

How is remapping or chipping actually 'illegal' !!!! There are plenty of insurance co.'s that will take a remapped car. I guess its 'illegal' if you dont declare it ?

How is remapping or chipping actually 'illegal' !!!! There are plenty of insurance co.'s that will take a remapped car. I guess its 'illegal' if you dont declare it ?

It's not, yet but there is a new EU Directive that may make it so. If you read the article it says that VOSA has already been analysing the requirements of the new Directive and working out how to implement them. Perhaps we will end up in the same situation as in Germany where such modifications to a car will need some sort of official approval (like the TuV system in Germany)

This "new" legislation has come in now (Jan 1st) - has anyone heard of anyone being caught out by it yet?

failed on lamin-x
and front tint

daughters
but the boss wasnt in his idiot lacki failed it

rubbish ?
why hes a jobsworth
i never fail them could have no back lights and id pass

Some of the new areas to fail come into force around May this year, some have come into force already. Had 2 fail on cracked abs sensors already at work and I had to fit a whole new drive shaft ! (peugeot 406) unable to buy just a C.V joint

i know if the abs epc airbag etc lights are on
they abandon the mot stright away

Not being funny but things like too dark front tints and too dark rear lights can be dangerous. Would you drive in the dark and rain with sunglasses on? No, so why have the same effect via tints...you need to see out of your windows. I'm glad he did his job and failed it, and am a bit shocked by your attitude to it to be honest.

why plenty of ppl have tints lamin-x
most will fail !
most will refit yes i do sometimes drive in sunglasses when it rains i had to today the sun was a killer
my lights are bright enough the reason for fail was there told to fail not cos of the light output but cos the film is on there

Last edited:
no i said i COULD get a car with no back lights passed
i wouldnt i was pointing out a fact
id never do it
but tints (lights windows) no cats wheels with stretch and poke yes pass them they will only go back on asap

To be honest most of the current new bits change nothing. They made a balls on the wording with HID kits rendering the new test identical to the old one.

As for the illegal mods. What constitutes an illegal modification? They can hardly render every modified car in the country illegal can they?