Volks AutosEM Tuning
Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    bengal's Avatar
    3rd Gear
    Eskiv Champion

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Staffordshire
    Posts
    537

    Mobile speed camera placement?

    Hi all i saw a mobile speed camera van yesterday not a rarity i know lol but this was parked at the end of a line of cars with a large van before it which was blocking my view of the camera van i only saw it when i was practically at the side of it. It was on the opposite side of the road and the camera end of the van was facing the way i was going. Does anyone know if this is within the guidelines of camera placement as from what i understand they have to be visible from a certain distance its the first one i have seen parked like this all of the others i have seen have been parked on their own and clearly visible or are they resorting to dirty tactics to make more money for our new government. Thanks.

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Global
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    A3 Sport's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    216
    I think they can get away with anythin tbh mate. I was done by one, and that was basically a white van, with black windows, and the tiniest little camera logo on the back to cover the legal side of it. And obviously, when Id seen the logo, it was too late, but to be honest, I think it could have had me going the opposite way - that way, I didnt see the logo. Yeah they will do anything to catch a granny at 33mph now!

    2009 '09' A3 1.6 Sport, Ibis White, Privacy Glass, Ipod Dock

  4. #3
    Turkster's Avatar
    Bro.Paul 2.5TDI Quattro Sport

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Northampton, Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
    Posts
    2,723

  5. #4
    Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    World of my own
    Posts
    9,813
    Yes they can pretty much do what they want unless you want to aive the 60 fine and take your chances in court. Ultimately you were speeding so how they caught you is irrelevant.
    "How to tear apart the ties that bind, perhaps fcuk off might be too kind"
    Alex Turner

  6. #5
    bengal's Avatar
    3rd Gear
    Eskiv Champion

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Staffordshire
    Posts
    537
    Quote Originally Posted by A3 Sport View Post
    I think they can get away with anythin tbh mate. I was done by one, and that was basically a white van, with black windows, and the tiniest little camera logo on the back to cover the legal side of it. And obviously, when Id seen the logo, it was too late, but to be honest, I think it could have had me going the opposite way - that way, I didnt see the logo. Yeah they will do anything to catch a granny at 33mph now!
    Im not going to start ranting and raving but speed deterrent my arse if you cant easily see it in good time then how is it going to slow you down its just as iv always thought to make money. I dont think the one i saw has got me as i wasnt going fast anyway if it has it will be about 35mph i will see in a week or so. Thanks again turkster for the clip what a tool frank garratt is lol.

  7. #6
    "Stick a V8 in it!"

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Glenrothes, Fife, Scotland
    Posts
    15,370
    The cameras tend to be set to 10% + 2 as a minimum over the speed limit, this is in the APCO guidelines.

    That means in a 30limit the camera wont trigger until you exceed 35mph.

    Add to that the fact that the speedo in your car will overread by about 10%, means that you need to more or less be doing an indicated 40mph to actually trigger the camera.

    As such, you cant really moan when someone catches you driving at an indicated 10mph or 33% over the speed limit...

    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build


  8. #7
    bengal's Avatar
    3rd Gear
    Eskiv Champion

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Staffordshire
    Posts
    537
    Quote Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
    The cameras tend to be set to 10% + 2 as a minimum over the speed limit, this is in the APCO guidelines.

    That means in a 30limit the camera wont trigger until you exceed 35mph.

    Add to that the fact that the speedo in your car will overread by about 10%, means that you need to more or less be doing an indicated 40mph to actually trigger the camera.

    As such, you cant really moan when someone catches you driving at an indicated 10mph or 33% over the speed limit...
    Thanks aragorn tbh im not worried about it catching me speeding as i dont think it has. I was more interested in how it was placed as i havnt seen them like this before so from what has been said they can do whatever they want and i agree if your excessively speeding then no you cant complain but i know this isnt what they are there for as its just the excuse that they use but they are supposed to stop speeding so if they are hidden it defeats the object in this case but its pretty obvious that they are there to catch people and thats it. What you have said makes sense as a few years ago when i got caught by one it said i was doing 45mph in a 30mph and on my speedo i got around 50mph but i didnt complain about being caught as that was the risk i was taking.

  9. #8
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,540
    spped has very little to do with bad driving and accidents anyway. granted if we were all doing 5 mph then there would never be any deaths on the road. but then thats hardly the point.
    most accidents are down to poor anticipation of other peoples poor observation. nothing to do with speed apart from each person would have more time to anticipate and more time to observe the slower they were driving and visa versa..............

    maybe we should teach people to actually drive a car? rather than how to just pass a test? naa, we'll continue the growing obsesion with speed insted.

    i dont know about other people tho but the faster im driving the more attentive i am.....

  10. #9
    bengal's Avatar
    3rd Gear
    Eskiv Champion

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Staffordshire
    Posts
    537

  11. #10
    Oranoco's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    HertFORDshire
    Posts
    3,082
    ACPO guidelines also say the cameras are supposed to be tripod mounted

    Life begins at 140mph
    Sell my Audi??? Kiss my rings!
    www.passionford.com

  12. #11
    bengal's Avatar
    3rd Gear
    Eskiv Champion

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Staffordshire
    Posts
    537
    Quote Originally Posted by Oranoco View Post
    ACPO guidelines also say the cameras are supposed to be tripod mounted
    I will have to look at apco's guidelines myself some time.

  13. #12
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,502
    Quote Originally Posted by murran View Post
    spped has very little to do with bad driving and accidents anyway. granted if we were all doing 5 mph then there would never be any deaths on the road. but then thats hardly the point.
    most accidents are down to poor anticipation of other peoples poor observation. nothing to do with speed apart from each person would have more time to anticipate and more time to observe the slower they were driving and visa versa..............

    maybe we should teach people to actually drive a car? rather than how to just pass a test? naa, we'll continue the growing obsesion with speed insted.

    i dont know about other people tho but the faster im driving the more attentive i am.....
    You don't honestly think speed cameras are anything to do with out safety do you? Money making exercises, pure and simple. The innocent driver is the criminal nowadays.

    If they did simple things like make all bus lanes car pool lanes (so that both buses and car poolers use them) or actually made public transport that comes on time and when you want it then maybe we wouldn't resort to using cars all the time, there'd be less cars and the roads would be safer.

    But no, the government want to have their cake and eat it too - charge as much as they can for using the roads (even if it's safely, albeit higher than the posted speed limit - some of which are plainly ridiculous such as 40mph rural dual carriageways) tax us, fine us, but don't spend any of the money on improving roads or public transport.
    2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line.
    DSG | 18" BBS Pescaras | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | Symphony II | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
    MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Weitec Hicon GTs | RNS-E 2010 | Controls Pack (Red Stitching)
    PLANS: Dumbos | 8P3 S-Line Rear Bumper | OEM Parking Sensors


    GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN:
    2005 Ebony Black A3 1.6 Sport tiptronic. You will be missed!
    1997 BMW 316i Coupe M-Sport. You won't be missed quite so much!

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO