Caught Speeding

Rachael

Reaction score
Hi guys, looking for a bit of advice. Was caught speeding at the end of June and when the NIP came through, I ignored it. All fine until last week when the police came to my house so I had no choice bu to admin I was driving. Yesterday, I got the Fixed Penalty Offer through the post. Is there any way I can get out of this ? I have heard that they can only prosecute you within 6 months of the offence, so I'm thinking if I take my time replying and "forget" to sign it, by the time they return it to me, my 6 month period should be up. Can anyone confirm if this is possible to do or any other ideas ?

Write them a letter asking to do a safety awareness course i think its called, its not always offered but a few of my friends have written letters and got on the course, you still have to pay the fine but dont get the points unless youve already done one that is.

My advice is to just accept the points and the fine as you were speeding and thats the price you pay. Im not known for sticking to the speed limits myself but when iv been done before i have just accepted the points and got on with it like many others have and i will do so if it happens again. Just for the record im not trying to offend you and i dont think the six month rule applies as when i was done i could not find my counterpart for my licence in time so it had to go to court which was 9 months after the offence.

I cant believe your asking for a way out of speeding and getting caught. Seriously. You speed you put peoples lives in danger. Next time you might do worse. Learn a lesson and accept the fine. Sorry to sound like this but the police done their job. And this does save lives

They have 6 months to send you an NIP from the date of the offence, so you can't get out of it that way. If you've ignored the NIP and they're still happy to offer you a fixed penalty then I'd bite their hand off as failing to answer an NIP is a separate offence you could be prosecuted for.

Id bite their hand off.take the ticket.If I got stopped it would be down the steps for me,and i wouldnt argue.

Unfortunately mate you do sometimes need to take these things on the chin. Don't worry too much though as most insurers see the first 3 points as simply a hazzard of modern motoring.

The law is the law. However the speed kills BS that's thrown about does my nugget in. I have spent quite some time working on road safety schemes and without fail they are power by politics and wanting to win votes. Residents get their knickers in a knot and bitch and moan to the authority and their councilors. Councilor thinks "oo vote winner here" and before you know it there are more damaging speed humps thrown on our roads.

There used to be a bloke who lived round by my ex's parents and whenever I drove past him in the Audi he never even noticed even when I went past at 35 or so. However in my track car that I had to slow down to get over the lumps without jarring my spine he would leap out in front of me waving his arms telling me to slow down. Prat even took my number and phoned the police to compain who then turned up on my doorstep to discuss it. Ended up taking the copper down the road in the car to show that it simply wasn't possible to speed down that road in the car.