Using the AA to change a wheel?

jojo

Looking for Boost!
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.audi-sport.net
I always thought that using the AA was for emergencies only, but I have AA membership with a few options including homestart. So the otherhalf drives off in the morning and discovers a flat tyre about 200yards up the road, so she limps it back and parks it on the roadside, so she can take the other car off the drive.

On her return a few hours later, she suggested we called the AA to get the wheel changed, now I'm very much capable of changing a wheel on my own, but I had tweaked my back, so it sounded like a good idea, at least for my back it was! lol

I had insisted I try and pump it up first to see if it's holding air, then the woman goes, call the AA guys over, they will pump it! At this point, I had a smirk on my face and just went outside to pump it up haha. So the tyre is holding air, but after a few hours, it started to go flat again, so I know it's a puncture.

My question though, is using the AA to change a wheel to change a wheel taking the p!ss? I mean I've paid for the service, but can't help feeling stupid if I was to call them up and do it. Obviously, I'm just going to pump it up tomorrow and drive to my local tyre place.

I had the AA out after a alternator tensioner failure a couple years ago, and the guy basically said he was glad to have a real fault and real repair that he can get stuck into rather than a silly woman phoning him out because the screen wash had stopped working (because there was no water in it) or similarly stupid faults.

So ye, i suspect they WOULD do it, but they'd also probably be leering at you at the same time.

yeah id feel a little lazy and stupid. in fact i think id hide out of site and send the wife out......

Yea but, the new poxy little jacks that you get with the car are pretty dangerous.

I remember changing a blow out tyre on the father in laws passat, was just about to take the wheel off and bang!!

The car dropped off the jack, damaged the side of the car and nearly had my hand off.

We ended up calling the AA out and first thing he said was "These jacks are so bad and dangerous, I get so many calls because of them, but would prefer the call than to hear of injuries caused by them"

So yes and no, in this case.