lowering springs fitting - which way?

205man

Reaction score
ive just pulled the front suspension off my car ready to fit the new springs etc tomorrow, then ill do the back in the afternoon.

anyway i have no specific instructions just a fairly generic guide with them which is very basic and not much info, so i was discussing with my friend about refitting new springs and he said that the springs have to go with the coils that are closer together at the bottom, and the wider spaced at the top.

but i argue that this cant be right as they have writing on them and if i fit that way it will be upside down and im sure the manafacture didnt go the trouble of printing them with their name only to be fitted so it cant be read...although course hard to see under arches lol ...

so is there a right or wrong way, ive looked on net and have seen some with tight coils at bottom and some with them at top.....

i wish id started the rears first as they can only go on one way so would have solved the argument lol

my springs where fitted with the writing as u would expect to read them lol..... not upside down lol....

Lol that's what I'd thought , but having checked them this morning if I keep the writing the right way up then the front have the close coils at the top and the rear at the bottom, I know the rears have to go that way as they taper at one end so only fit one way ,

So I'll fit them with the writing the right way up as I would of thought had Been planned

Cheers

I always say the same :) install them in a way the writing can be read :)

AwesomeMike

As Mike has said install the springs so as you can read the writing without teisting your neck 180 degrees and seeing your nearest chiropractor!

I have just had some springs delieverd which state to fit so as you can read the writing "the correct way round" when installed!

lol well we all appear to be wrong lol, the fronts did go on with the writing up the right way , but the rears go on upside down and have to go this way as th b5 quattro springs are different sizes top and bottom on the rear so can only fit one way......

oh well with car lowered now you cant see the springs to read the upside down writing lol