Clio Cup 172?

16Klappe

Man Boost!
Supporter
Reaction score
Right, new car time soon!

502646655_7b57c3b228_o.jpg

I am so torn, but I think I'm getting drawn towards one model!

Clio Sport 172, preferably a Cup model.

Anybody owned one or had any experiences with them? I've driven 2 standard 172's and 2 "cup" models and I could feel a difference, or maybe I just liked the alloys on the cup models...

I want a car to play about with, something to improve on and something a bit different. I'd only use it to drive to work and back every day (5 miles on the bridge, or when I get a nice car get up early and do the 15 miles blast through the B roads to Saltash via the ferry!), the occasional trip back home from Plymouth to Basingstoke and trips across to the ring and general track day action. Sound about right for one of those?

I know the first reply is going to be "get an A3..." but my girlfriends got an A3, I used to drive Prawns old A3 on a daily basis (and I'll probably buy that some time soon if his dad makes his mind up!) and they just aren't exciting enough for me, a bit too german :p

Any help or opinions would be awesome, because everybody I speak to says "ewww, french crap!" when they've never driven one or had anything to do with them!

mate I had 2 clios the 172 and the 182... honestly I wouldnt go with the cup (my opinion)sthey say it is lighter and this being the reaon it is quicker but I went with the standard as the interior was much nicer than the cup.. I had half leather inside with the cup every thing is very basic and plastic .. I thought the same thing as you in the first instance but had mine remaped and also got the cup alloys in gun metal grey.. they do go like **** of a shovel because they are so light .... hope this helps a little mate.. I did have some fun in my clio's haha

I've driven the 172 many times, and it's a hoot to drive! Can't beat classic handling of a light weight, front wheeled drive hatchback with some grunt. :racer: They come quite high spec out the box with xenons and auto headlamps etc. also don't they.

I've driven the 172 many times, and it's a hoot to drive! Can't beat classic handling of a light weight, front wheeled drive hatchback with some grunt. :racer: They come quite high spec out the box with xenons and auto headlamps etc. also don't they.

yeh thats another thing mate... the cups dont come with Xenons.. the cups are pretty basic dont even think they have climate control could be wrong but my mates CUP didnt... go with the standard 172 sport they are fun...

I'm going to have a goooood look into it, I know it sounds stupid but I love the blue that the cups come in and the wheels they have. Most RS models are in silver or some other gash colour!

I want the half leather, AC and all the other goodies though :(

Mate of mine got his wife a 172 Cup years ago and to be fair it was a damn good bit of kit. In the right hands it could hassle far more powerful cars. He took it to a ScoobyNet meet and promptly upset a few of the Subaru owners by staying with them on a blat from pub to pub.

Only issue in 3 years I can recall was breaking the engine mounts on 3 occasions. He's actually looking for another now after owning a couple of Scoobies

My cousin had one a few years back (172 cup) and damn it felt fast!
It was so small and aggressive absolutely brilliant to drive!
Always made you feel like it wanted more, you couldnt drive the thing slow!
Only downside is when you want to settle down for a gentle drive, it just wasnt that comfortable or quiet and the kit and build was aweful!
So depends what you want! weekend blaster, cant beat it! all rounder, get something else!

I know the first reply is going to be "get an A3..." but my girlfriends got an A3, I used to drive Prawns old A3 on a daily basis (and I'll probably buy that some time soon if his dad makes his mind up!) and they just aren't exciting enough for me, a bit too german :p

You're NOT having Prawn's old car... It's so old and crap that even PRAWN doesnt want it. And no dissing of the A3s, or I will remove your driving privileges and you'll have nothing but the Corsa 'Sport' to play with. Ungrateful moose you!

Last edited:
Oh, so no time to phone me on your lunch break but time to go out with Amy and **** about on Audi-Sport?!

Don't forget who's buying you a remap for your birthday!

I want a 172....so bad!