private sale - car responsibility once driven off?

tj1978

MRX
Reaction score
Can anyone clarify..

I will be selling my car on saturday. I will be filling in a giving the buyer the relevant sections from my registration document... And then sending it off recorded post to the DVLA..

The buyer will be drivng the car away whilst the document is in the post.

am I legally responsible for the car still at this point ? or do I need to Phone the DVLA before the car is sold..

Any help much appreciated..

Regards

Tim

its a bit of a grey area really, i think you should contact the dvla and see what they say

Write out or print off a receipt with details of the car, date and time. Enter your details as the seller and enter the buyer details too. Add the purchase price and get them to counter sign it, giving them one copy. Put on it sold as seen. You are both in the clear, if they get stopped they have proof with the receipt and the green section off the V5c, and if they go through a speed trap, you have proof when, time and date, you sold the car and who to. Hope that helps.

As Watty said, receipt including time and date.

I have been told that sold as seen is no good anymore, "sold to the satisfaction of the buyer" is what is required.

you could also fill out the milage on the document as well before he signs

As Watty says, a hand written reciept is all you need stating all the facts, include car details, reg etc.

Johnsnow has a very good point there aswell, something i never do but i will start from now as will provide DVLA with last known mileage and make it easier to find out mileage info. Maybe if everybody starts this aswell it would help dwindle the clocking game a bit.