One for the diesel boys (and girls)

smudge_don

Reaction score
Hello fellow DERV owners!!! :friends:

Since having my 2.0TDI PD170, i've always used BP Ultimate or Shell V-Power Diesel

I don't really know why, seeing as it's around 5p more expensive than regular diesel. I think i've convinced myself that they give me more miles per tank and are better for my engine :think:

I know that it's not likely to give me any real performance increases by using this fuel (very minimal, if any), so why am i really using it?

Anyone a bit more clued up on these fuels? Anyone else use them?

Hmmmm. I personally just use normal diesel for my 2.0TDI, and V-power for the petrol.

However, my father recently said he put a tank of Ultimate in his tdi by accident, but he noticed the difference in performance, but not sure about the mileage.

Having said that, at 5p per litre, in a 55l tank, what we really talking about? An extra £2.75 when its almost £70 to fill it anyway? My next tank of diesel is going to be premium I think, just for the additives, and I am thinking of running premium diesel every 3-4 tanks in future anyway. The car is turning 114k this tank anyway.

I'm new to the oil burning club, and I must confess I've only used supermarket diesel in it so far.

I'm nearing empty now and I'm thinking I might try V-Power diesel for a tank full to see if it makes a difference, though my TDI-140 isn't a PD engine, its one of the common rail units.

I'd like to hear from anyone that has experience either way.

I must admit, around town, there's probably very little difference in mpg, but V-power Diesel is definitely more responsive in my Passat PD 115, and it's on 174k miles or so. On the long run though, on the motorway, it gives me 4-5mpg more than normal derv.

Tesco diesel is like putting sludge in your tank!!!

And you're defo right xs2man, only an extra £3 at most, must be worth it one way or another

My bro sells fuel to companies for a living and he's told me that Shell Extra diesel is the best "normal diesel" you can buy with regards to additives etc. I used V-Power for the first few months of having my car & I'm now on Shell Extra. I recently filled up with some crap supermarket fuel as I was in a hurry and my miles to oil change went from 800 to 200, and then to 0 in about 50 miles. Coincidence? Probably. But very strange...

i use shell derv all the time, that added with millers. My mapped PD with decat runs sweet as a nut. i get average 59 mpg on a long run and around 40 and 45 around town (depending on how im driving)

After feeling the difference in fuels on having to fill up on tesco fuel on my scooby one day i will only ever use Shell etc. I dont do enough motorway miles to warrant using the derv Vpower.

When I lived in Germany I always used Shell V-Power diesel, never really noticed any difference in either a 1.9 A3 TDI or a 2.0 A3 TDI, only benefit was 5 shell points per litre instead of 1. (yeah sad I know...)

I have noticed that Sainsburys 'City Diesel' does make the car drive a bit smoother and I do get perhaps an extra 30/40 miles out of a tank when compared to Morrisons, its also about 4p cheaper in Leicester than round here about 7 miles away, Morrisons is pretty gash IMO.

My bro sells fuel to companies for a living and he's told me that Shell Extra diesel is the best "normal diesel" you can buy with regards to additives etc.

all base fuel is the same..its the additives they do or dont (supermarkets) put in, that make the difference.

you notice this in winter more as the supermarkets tend not to add as much 'anti-waxing' agents to stop the diesel from becoming too viscous IIRC

Last edited:
5 years of owning my 2.5 v6 and I've only ever put normal diesel in it, and it
still returns around 39-41 mpg on an engine with 140K on it.