Sachs Performance Clutch Write-Up
Hello to all,
I thought to put you at pace with my experience on the Sachs Performance clutch kit, that appears to be much used and desired.
The reference part numbers I am talking about are:
1) SR883082 999787 SRE Clutch Cover
2) SR881864 999502 SRE Clutch Disc
I had this kit installed by my Audi dealer two months ago, when I ahchieved what is referred to as Stage 2+.
The clutch assembly had been installed together with new clutch pedal and clutch actuator OEM pumps.
The car is pulling about 420-430Nm of torque.
The problems I had, and reason for which my car has been newly torn apart by my Audi dealer, are:
- The pedal had loads of compliance.
- The pedal compliance/clutch release point varied at its pleasure.
- The gear disengagements were never immediate nor full.
- This brought to difficulty in changing gears up when driving hard.
Now, we are talking with the Sachs chief engineer, and this is fresh, so we are still waiting for an answer from them.
ACCORDING TO THE AUDI DEALER, AND JUSTIFIED BY IMAGES AND MEASUREMENTS- FACTS:
- Sachs clutch plate is a bit thinner than OEM.
- Sachs CP's central spring has no pre-tension, at difference from OEM.
- Sachs CP's central spring sits 8mm further away from pump than OEM.
- This excessive compliance forces the clutch pump to work out of its ideal range.
- It is possible that the clutch pump is not strong enough for this plate.
- It appears that this assembly has been designed for the VW Golf Gti, that would justify the compliance.
I will now post the images and drawings from Sachs.
Please let me know if you are having similar problems, maybe you can get a fix together with me.
Will keep this post updated with Sachs's answers and (I hope) solutions.
Difference in clutch plate spring position/height (OEM not pre-tensioned):
Difference in Cluth Plate thickness (OEM on the left):
Technical drawing from Sachs, updated with Audi Dealer's measurements:
Assembly view from side:
OEM Clutch assembly, mounted w/spring pre-tensioned:
The condition of my flywheel after two months of Sachs Clutch: