500 Mile Mini Review! A3 Sportback 1.6TDi S-line
Up until now I’ve been silent just snooping on everyone else’s posts and doing research on my car which I’ve just taken delivery of yesterday! I got the car fom Coventry Audi and had the pleasure of a 7 hr drive back to Aberdeen where I live so feel that I’m fairly familiar with the car now and thought I'd post a little review for anyone thinking of taking the plunge and getting one of their own.
A3 Sportback 1.6TDi S-line
Interior light pack
Alu Roof Rails
Auto High Beam
First impressions of the car was that the interior is definitely a step up from the 8p. Felt more luxourious somehow and its noticeably really quiet inside once you shut the door – all outside noise blocked out. I previously had a 2009 S3 sportback, which was a nicely specced car, but this is definitely an improvement and feels more luxurious.
- Quieter – less wind and engine noise than my s3. (Less engine noise to be expected!). The 1.6TDi is really quiet though, felt quieter than the 2.0TDi which I test drove before buying.
- More tech – found the MMI system really easy to get to grips with
- ACC – better than I could of imagined. Doesn’t get confused if someone cuts in front, worked perfectly and made the 400mile journey home much less tiring! Havent had chance to try it on a country road yet. I found it best to have it on the closest distance setting – like a typical audi driver!!
- Handling – I chose the SE suspension. It possibly sits a tiny bit higher than I’d of liked appearance wise, but the handling is amazing. I would say it’s more nimble than the S3 I had previously and is amazing at smoothing out bumps / potholes etc. Overall very pleased with it.
- The 1.6TDi engine – definitely adequate in terms of performance. Would even go as far as to say its nippy in town. Once you’re up to 60mph +, it isn’t what you’d call fast for overtaking, but it definitely has enough torque to get past someone easily. Seems to be a very smooth / quiet engine rather than giving you a big shove in the back. Did find it was quite easy to bit sitting at 90mph plus without noticing on motorway or feeling like the engine was struggling in any way.
- Economy. With the car being brand new I’ve found the following:
- Averaged 53mpg on drive England – Scotland. Which was 80% motorways at between 70-90mph, and 20% country roads 50-70mph.
- When driving 80mph plus, it was sitting at around 50mpg (indicated)
- When driving at 70 mph it was easily reaching high 50’s.
- When driving to work today (30 miles over mixed country / a-roads) I averaged 59mpg without really trying and even managed to squeeze in a few overtakes.
- Overall – quite pleased. Would think car will average around 55mpg in real life over mixed driving.
- Storage – boot seems bigger than my previous 8P, more nooks and crannies to keep stuff!
- Havent found very many yet!
- Would have been nice to be able to turn on the interior lighting during day time
- Some tyre noise from the 18” alloys, but not worse than on my 8P
- More power would always be nice, but I spent the budget on a nicer spec instead which so far im not regretting!