Help Please!! Rub/Squeak/Grind from passenger front wheel/corner.
i have a funny rub/sqeak/grind sound coming from the front passenger corner.
Points to note:
1. the 'sound' is direct propotional to the rotation of the wheel (identifying post gear box)
2. the sound dissappears during braking
3. the sound is worse while going round corners
investigations carried out:
1. jacked up car, spun wheel, no sound
2. checked for bearing play, no play
3. checked for wheel roundness, its round
4. checked for control arm play, no excessive play
5. checked for rubbing, no rubbing or shiney bit on the tyre indicating a rub
lowered car back to earth
1. drove back and forth, noise present and description confirmed by external person
2. suspension bounce tested, noise not present
from this test i am thinking it could be a warped disc or the disc has slipped and is not sitting correctly. maybe the drive shaft or CV joint.
Would a failing CV or drive shaft stop making the noise under braking (it even dissappears while braking around a corner)???
Oddly the car passed its MOT last week and all was fine no faults. i recently replaced the front lower rear controll arm, i tighted the bolt on the subframe end with load on the suspesion to ensure i get the angle correct but i may redo it and see if it makes a difference or it has slipped.
The car is an A4 B6 1.9tdi SE 6 speed FWD only mods are 18" RS6s (from new) RS4 RARB, oh and its blue ;)
Any help is much appreciated!
update: i have just driven between sites and it seems the noise also goes away during acceleration. it is hard to tell if it goes or lessen due to the whizz of the turbo...