Today my A4 developed a fault which have to say has stupped me for the moment. The car is a 1996 A4 with a 1.8T AEB engine. I'll go through the steps that I've already done.
After leaving the engine for a while the car did start normally, and was running nice and smooth until the temp got to around 70 then cylinder 2 stopped again.
- First tried a new coil pack in each cylinder
- Second Tried a new set of spark plugs (currently running Bosch, tried NGK) no difference
- Disconnected the plug going into each coil pack until the faulty cylinder was found.
- After disconnecting each plug one at a time to each oil pack, 1, 3 and 4 caused the engine to start the stop after a few seconds
- Disconnecting the plug on cylinder 2 made no difference
- Tried the new coil pack again on 2 made no difference
- Swapped coil packs on 2 & 3 around fault stayed with cylinder 2
- Check with VAG-COM 10.4 beta and no faults codes were showing on the engine
- There are no grinding, banging or rattling noises, so I don't think the piston/valves are at fault
- Oil is a nice golden colour, there is no water in the oil or vice versa, so don't think it's head gasket.
What I want to try the following but now sure how.
- Want to try and see if there is power going to plug 2, but don't want to fry:scared2:
- Could this be an injector problem how can I test for this, without setting the car on fire!