S3 Sump Removal and Refit (with pics)
OK, so I decided to drop my sump, check the oil pickup and give it a good clean while I was in there.
so I have an AMK S3 2001 that i bought a couple of months ago, its done 102k miles and has been on the longlife service since new. its last one was 2k miles ago.
there are 20 bolts round the sump (10mm hex/5mm allen key), 3 big (16mm hex) bolts through the gearbox into the sump from the side.
there are another 5 x 5mm allen key bolts that hold the oil level sensor and the return pipe on.
these are the 3 big bolts that need removed too, as you can see in the picture below there is a very annoyingly placed pipe that gets in the way quite a lot.
there is a bracket holding it on which can be undone so it can be held out the way a bit, but its still a pain.
(also i don't know why this picture insists on being sideways)
the 3 annoying wee bolts below are at the same side of the sump as the 3 big bolts
This is the dirty oil, it was just like normal dirty oil, wasn't very sludgy probably cause it was only changed 2k miles ago
below are 2 images of the sump when it was removed, you can see the burnt oil deposits round the edge that are well caked on
Below is the oil pickup, as you can see it looks slightly blocked
I then started to clean up the pickup. at first it didnt look too bad, i cleaned the whole thing using carb cleaner and got all the oil off.
when i looked closer at the mesh I noticed most of the wee holes were filled with what seemed like a grit sort of substance so i used a pin to poke through every hole and clear them, then blow the grit through the mesh and out of the pipe.
for cleaning the sump I used Carb cleaner again and some Gunk degreaser.
after a couple of hours of of cleaning with a toothbrush, scouring pad and a paint brush it looked like this, the remaining marks refuse to shift but that's fine with me
I put a wee bead of silicone all the way round the edge of the sump as per the instructions in elsawin.
Fitting is basically the reverse of removing do them up finger tight and then tighten them up diagonally and work your way round
I replaced the oil filter as well of coarse but the person who put it on must have been the incredible hulk cause it was on stupidly tight and removing it with a strap socket tool actually crushed and deformed the old oil filter (i had to use a 1M bar on the ratchet to get leverage to get it to shift and undo)
new one, wee bit of new oil round the seal, screwed on till it touches then do a 3/4 turn and its sweet and not leaking
it would appear I made a slight mistake when doing the silicone and I don't think I put enough in the top left as when the car is running and the oils under pressure it leaks from there so I will have to drop it again soon and redo all the silicone :banghead: