As titled. A few easy steps to destroying a turbo.
1. Take a home built turbo in which 24psi+ is 'a bit on the high side'
2. Stick it on a 1.8t
3. See that it runs 18psi nicely and spools quickly
4. get the map tweaked and then wind actuator out so it runs 24psi in higher gears
5. decide to 'be a champ' give the actuator about 7-8 more turns
6. take it out for a test drive
7. see boost gauge shoot round to 30psi and listen for a bang.
8. See lots and lots of smoke
9. coast back making sure to turn off engine before/as engine oil pressure light comes on.