A3 AUM 1.8T Ebay Fmic install
Hi guys, seeing as there are SO many threads about this, and so many questions, I thought I'd take a few pics over the weekend when we fitted the turborevs ebay FMIC kit to his AUM engine'd 1.8T.
The AUM differs from the earlier AGU in that it has a map sensor, mounted on top of the SMIC as standard. To get around this problem, we used a forge map sensor pipe, available from forge:
So, here's what we started with, a stupidly low mileage (36k) AUM 1.8T,
with a custard code phase 1, forge cold side kit, and a carbonio induction kit
We started by removing the front bumper and drivers side headlight, then ripped out all the old pipework and the standard SMIC.
We then made some brackets to hang the core from the core from the crash bar. The core is hung right up tight under the crash bar, with just a 2mm gap between to stop the two rattling against each other
We then started to offer up the cold side pipework, this is the larger 60mm pipe in the kit.
Being an AUM engine with the map sensor, we needed to put the map sensor back in roughly the same location as standard, due to a fairly short length of wires on the plug.
This involved cutting a fair few bits, as the added length of the map sensor pipe was making the pipework much harder to fit. We ended up cutting 4'' in total off the throttle body hose, and cutting the map pipe down from 9'' to 5''. We also needed to remove around 1.5'' from the end of the cold side intercooler pipe, to realign the angle at which it joined the map pipe.
The only bit I forgot to get pics of is the new N75 take off. all we did for this, was drill an 8mm hole in a suitable location, on the first pipe off the turbo, and then screw in an 8mmb rass hose take off. being so thin, we wern't confident the pipework thread alone would make a boost tight seal, so we used chemical metal on the threads, and then built up around the join to seal it up totally. This has worked faultlessly on my car for 2 years now, so it's more than good enough.
I then took to trimming the crap out of the front bumper, and this is the resulting pile of plastic that I cut out from the back of the bumper:
Saturday night we got the rest of the pipework in and got the car running again before dark. We decided to give up, and swap the spanners for pizza and beer and a bit of Forza 3 :)
Here's how it looked on saturday morning. the rain came down hard, so we moved into the garage
Poor mini had to go outside in the rain!!!
Lights back in and we wen't for a test before refitting the bumper, all seemed well, with the car pulling VERY hard through all the gears, with no signs of any leaks
Bumper back on, and the job was finished!
We went for a test drive, and all seems great. Dan seemed pretty happy, and there were no problems at all. happy days!