Driving from London to Hungary tomorrow...tips and checks!
I'm undertaking the 1,069 mile journey from Stepney to Budapest tomorrow, to pick my girlfriend and our dog up, before returning in a week's time.
The journey will begin at around 7am, in my '99 S3 (no cruise control - why oh why did the first owner not add this option?!), and I don't intend to stop until I see the Danube (apart from the obligatory 22 petrol stops).
I've listed below a few of the things I've thought of / checked / need to do before I leave, and if anyone has any experience of driving in Europe with a UK car, I'd appreciate thoughts on any glaring omissions:
- Insurance: calling my insurer shortly to add European cover (and there's some sort of green card I need, I'm told...)
- Breakdown: calling my breakdown company shortly to add European breakdown recovery
- Checked oil, water, washer fluid, tyres
- I need to work out if you can adjust the headlights on an S3 to suit the other side of the road
- I have a European road map, have printed the three routes Google recommends, and I'm trying to update my TomTom with European maps (why they sell a 2gb unit with no memory card slot, and then make the European maps 2.2gb, I do not know...)
- I've been told I need to carry spare headlights bulbs (will have to pick some up en route)
- My car does not have GB plates, so I guess I'll need a GB sticker
And that's about it.
I'll go and stock up on coffee and red bull...