Polished Bliss: Chrime Orange Elise R
Posted on behalf of Clark, who did this car last week...
Right, first of all, apologies for the eleventy million pics in this thread, i got a bit snappy happy during this detail (over 200 were taken) and couldnt really edit them all down to a sensible number :)
Now onto the car, in this rather nice chrome orange colour (well it looked nice under the dirt).....
This is the latest customer to sign up to one of our monthly Vintage maintainance contracts and he drove up from Edinburgh and left the car with us over Wednesday and Thursday afternoon.
Although the car was only a couple of months old, it had what looked like a couple of years worth of dirt and grime stuck to it:
So, onto the Wash Process:
Firstly, the arches/shuts etc were soaked in APC and the car was then foamed with a Safe Degreaser through the Foam Gun and left to dwell for 5 mins:
The car was then rinsed at high pressure, (taking care around the edges of the armour-fend which was applied to the front end and rear arches) foamed again and then washed with the 2 bucket method and lambswool mitts. The wheels were badly covered in brake dust and obviously had no protection from new as they were almost starting to pitt already - a non acidic tyre and wheel gel were used for the faces but the inner rims needed an acidic cleaner cut 4:1 to remove every last bit of dirt.
Once the car was rinsed i could see a large amount of tar and rubber that was stuck to the majority of the bottom half of the car - this was sprayed with Tar and Glue remover and left for a few minutes and then wiped off with a MF.
The pic below shows the T&G remover in action, i couldnt be without this product as it saves a huge amount of time:
I could just manage to fit my hand in with a MF mitt to remove the tar from the inner arches too:
The paintwork and glass was then clayed with Zymöl Lehm Clay and the car was given a final rinse off before being dried with the leaf blower (i keep forgetting to get a picture of this in action, will try to remember next time)
Total Wash Time: 2 hours
The car was then rolled (literally! i found it too much of a pain to get in and out to drive it so i pushed the car back and forward for the duration of the detail, just as well its such a light car :) ) inside and taped up.
Under the halogens you can just about see the defects i was faced with:
The entire car was covered in rotary holograms too: :sadlike:
As the cars bodywork is entirely composite material i decided to use the good old PC for this detail, mainly because i wanted to keep heat to a mimimum and i figured it would actually be quicker due to the complex lines and curves of the car. The defects werent too bad either so i was confident the PC would provide enough punch for the job :)
I first tried out the finishing polishes but these didnt provide quite enough defect removal for my liking so i went for the usual cerami-clear compound on an orange LC Pad, spread at speed 2 then worked at speed 6 untill fully broken down.
Rear quarter before:
Rear quarter after:
Drivers door before:
50/50 shot on the bootlid:
Passenger door before:
All the smaller/complicated areas such as the rear bumper/engine cover etc were done with a 4" LC pad.
Total Polish Time: 5 hours
As mentioned at the start of the post, this customer had signed up for a monthly Vintage maintainance plan, so LSP of choice was obviously Zymöl Vintage - this time applied by applicator pad after the HD Cleanse step, this made it a doddle to apply and buff off with next to no smears visible before the final buff several hours later :)