Car people who knows too much.
So I have this female friend who's into cars, well, both she and her bf. The guy is having some limited success in some carpark events (autocross) with his daily use car (a Proton of some sort).
1) The guy knows EVERYTHING there is to know about cars...i kid you not, there is not a single topic that he would not chime in with his opinions or what he read on the internet.
2) They think they are "motorsports people" as if it's some sort of elite club where only brave souls like them belong. The last time i took my S3 to the track and decided not to push it all the way (braking slightly early, not revving till the limit, and not hitting the kerbs), they kept giving "advice" on what I should do and how I should drive my car. For ****s sake, it's my car, and I'll drive it the way I want! If I wanted a race/track car I wouldnt be in a porker of an Audi in the first place! When the day ended, his gf came up to me and said "motorsports isnt for pussies, you know?" I almost burst out laughin...please honey, get a clue, or at least get your man to lean a bike knees down first before calling me pussy.
3) They hang out with a bunch of people who are similar and talk about cars all day long, on why Japanese cars are superior to Continentals in every possible way. If the GTR/Evo/STI had a willy, I would not be surprised to see them offering oral pleasures.
4) It's no use explaining to them why you got an audi (a decent and nice get-around). They seem to think all that revolves around driving is speed or something out of the fast&furious movie franchise. To be frank, the guy's car aint that fast either.
5) The girl knows nothing about engineering or the basic simple physical concepts on how/why things work, either in general or automotive related. I find it depressing and funny at the same time that any self proclaimed enthusiast can not grasp the meaning of torque, and the relationship to power and the resultant acceleration of the vehicle. It really ticks me off when they have no idea what they are talking about and her bf decides to "teach" her. E.g.honda engines having "hi-revs but lo-tork" and that's how a proper NA engine should be, or why european engines are 'boring'. Talk about the blind leading the blind.
6) I've built up a collection of books and magazine on cars and race technology over the years, and have lent them a few. Apparently they are smarter than industry recognized professional race engineers who worked on race cars for all their life.
7) These alleged motorsports people have no idea what Moton, Penske, Stack, GEMS, Tilton, Pectel, Aurora or the likes do, or why they are superior to the usual consumer based offerings. Oh sweet...I've a KW V2 coilover and it's the best thing in the market I tell you! The car doesnt roll into corners anymore and it FEELs more planted.
9) When you try to tell them to tone it down a little with the car talk or explain why it's not worth it to corner balance or remove the back seat in their econobox based car, they feel as if you are insulting them.
Finally, the part I hate most is that they believe they are the only ones in the world who deserve their car because they worked hard, and because of that, they can justify whatever mods they do to it. Nevermind the fact that it's slow, and whatever they do with it will not make it faster. Somehow, they cannot seem to accept the fact that many other younger people can afford nicer cars. Seems like daddy paid for my car and mommy pays for my fuel, so I'm some sort of a brat and will not understand their "passion for motorsports"....oh sweet!
Not sure why I still hang out with them...must be the girl's wonderful rack and preference for tank-tops I guess.
*disclaimer, I have no problem with a bunch of guys talking about cars or a little bit of bragging going on, but it becomes annoying when one particular party decides to take center stage.