newbie needs advice on buying a gt tdi please

s3ugly

Reaction score
as the title really , im looking to buy a gt tdi and would like some info on the specs, ie the gt tdi is 110bhp 115bhp 130bhp and 150bhp from what i can see, but i am looking for a 6 grander so its looking like a 98 reg one. which is 110bhp or would i be best to save and get a newer one, what are the differences please

Put it this way i had 4 mates in my 1.9Tdi 130 (big lads) and we just killed a golf 1.9Tdi (115) tonight, its not the 15Bhp thats good its the increase in torque! Saving is always a good option!

I ran a 110 BHP GT Tdi for nearly 5 years with a tuning box on it (the adjustable one). If you can handle the smoke, you will have a really nippy car. If you can get one at a good price go for it.

I think I'm right in saying that the 115 onwards have the PD engines, which means better torque and power delivery. When I test drove a 115 about 5 years ago I found it to be much more refined than the 110. I'd wait, save up and get a 130 which is better still.

the 110 bhp can be tuned up more than a chipped 115 pd as you cant do an injector change on teh pd engines as yet.

Im running an A4 Avant TDI 130 at the moment after two Golf PD150's. The A4 is not as quick as the golf which is a stunner but it's a lot more relaxed and gets a much better return to the gallon.

Incidentally a mate with a Golf TDI 130 had it rolling roaded some time back, it was putting out 146 as standard.

I've been a petrolhead for years, A3 1.8T etc, but after 2 Golf PD150's (the first covering 60k in a year and the second 40k in 9 months)and an A4 Avant, I guess I'll be sticking with diesel.

Personally I'd run with a 130. A slightly softer tune, almost as much punch and certainly as much smoke out of the back. You get used to it and stop looking in the mirror as you accelerate after a while.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

You don't get that much smoke unless you're accelerating from standstill in second all the time (new clutch please!), or there's something wrong with the engine, surely?!

The only time I get noticeable smoke is when putting my foot down after trundling along for a while - build up of soot in the exhaust pipes. Otherwise it's just a minor puff at every gear change.