Volks AutosMonster Motorsport
    Neutral

Status

A4 1.9TDI v A4 2.5 TDI v BMW 330D

Had the S3 for a while now and I am thinking about a change to diesel.

What are you opinions and comments on which of the above cars is the best to get.

If I change I will be getting the car re-mapped by AMD.

2. # ADS
    ADS

imported_kris_tdi

Re: A4 1.9TDI v A4 2.5 TDI v BMW 330D

ive got an a4 2.5 tdi, i highly recommend you get a quattro version if you get the 2.5, essecially if you chip it. mine really struggles too grip in the wet (its fwd)

old mans got a 330d, its defo quicker than the 2.5 a4 (150 bhp) in standard trim, but sounds more like a diesel, doesnt sound like it has 6 cylinders.

if i got another one i would probably get a 1.9 tdi 130 quattro as you can chip them upto 195 bhp anyway.

imported_kris_tdi

having said that i like the v6, i would defo get a quattro though!!!

4th Gear

Status

ive got the 2002 1.9Tdi quattro 130 Bhp had the supership on for one day running 165Bhp, cant fault it, it corners great in wet and dry! even with my 19"'s on!! pulls really well even with out the chip!

Problems with airflow meter ment i had to take chip off but only til audi sort problem, keep us informed what you get!

Reverse Gear

Status

I've recently moved from an 98 Mk 4 Golf GTTdi ( 110 ) to an 2002 A4 avant 2.5 Tdi Quattro 180, awesome car with fantastic build quality, only downside I can see is the golf would pull cleanly from 1000 rpm upward, the A4 is flat as a witches from 1000 to 1500 rpm, tested an Allroad with the same engine and that was the same. Intend to get it chipped for more fun per gallon, the torque at the moment is addictive so god knows what it'll be like after a chip [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

imported_kris_tdi

mine also is dead between 1000 & 1500 rpm, i think its probably to do with the size of the turbo, they are bloody huge!!!
    oh, had mine chipped and it still has the deadspot, goes like [censored] of a stick now [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

2nd Gear

Status

wheres the best place to chip up a 2.5TDI V6? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

imported_kosh

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] Any one notice that the quattro pulls the mpg to about 42mpg , just come back from the land of the wildman and found that on a run of about 300 miles , ,i got about 42mpg whilst my mates audi chipped to about 150 bhp fwd was getting high 40s ???? , we were running and gunning thought [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

imported_kris_tdi

[ QUOTE ]
    MikeA2B said:
    wheres the best place to chip up a 2.5TDI V6? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

i would imagine jabba or amd etc..
    ive just got a plug in box, its not the best but it was only 100 new off ebay, eventually i will get a proper remap, if you can afford a remap then go for that instead.

1st Gear

Status

The 330d definately has the best engine out of the three and is by far the quickest. Second choice would be the 1.9tdi all be it using older technology than the beemer (only 8 valves non common rail etc!) it is far more refined than the 2.5V6 which is IMO fairly agricultural and far thirstier than the 1.9TDI and has been around in the vw audi stables for years. But the other option is order a new B7 A4 with the 2.0TDI or either the 2.7V6TDI or 3.0V6TDI which are right up their in terms of performance and refinement of the beemer.
    A chipped 1.9TDI 130 would seem the sensible choice! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif[/img]

4th Gear

Status

Great im lad you said that at the end!!

imported_kris_tdi

[ QUOTE ]
    RS4 Barry said:
    The 330d definately has the best engine out of the three and is by far the quickest. Second choice would be the 1.9tdi all be it using older technology than the beemer (only 8 valves non common rail etc!) it is far more refined than the 2.5V6 which is IMO fairly agricultural and far thirstier than the 1.9TDI and has been around in the vw audi stables for years. But the other option is order a new B7 A4 with the 2.0TDI or either the 2.7V6TDI or 3.0V6TDI which are right up their in terms of performance and refinement of the beemer.
    A chipped 1.9TDI 130 would seem the sensible choice! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

how has the v6 tdi been around for years?
    it was introduced in non commonrail form in 1998, the 1.9 has been around since at least 1993!!!!
    as for thirsty, considering its a 2.5 l in a heavy car i thought 36 mpg round town and 47-52 on teh motorway was pretty good.
    i agree on the 330d though, old man has one and it is far superior.

imported_kosh

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]Think i will whack and stack the jabba spec on the 1.9tdi 130 quattro and see if i smile like a leper on speed baby [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

1st Gear

Status

I thought about this comparison myself and I test drove 99 T BMW 330d and it was the most sluggish diesel I have driven. Admittedly I have only driven the newer 2001 A3 1.9tdi, the 2004 2.0 tdi and a volkswagon transporter but still it didnt perform anywhere near as I had expected.

So to conclude I would push you towards the Audi ( of course ) and not the Beamer!

3rd Gear

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    kosh said:
    [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]Think i will whack and stack the jabba spec on the 1.9tdi 130 quattro and see if i smile like a leper on speed baby [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just the job on an A3...though I cant imagine it weighs much less than the S3. The 1.9 TDiQ is a hard one to find if thats what your after....happy hunting! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif[/img]

Neutral

Status

Been in all of the above mentioned cars and i found the BMW fast but basic not a lot going on for your money! the 1.9TDI is a beautiful motor but i found little traction when you've the lead foot on, the 2.5TDI Quattro is the finest motors i've every driven, it has awsome traction (for them mad days) its prob the best all round car. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

2nd Gear

Status

Yes i fully agree M8!