99 A4 tdi starting probs

Maverick1888

Reaction score
I bought an a4 tdi from a friend after he snapped the cam belt and put a new engine in it,
the car is murder to start in the morning but once started will start first time all day,he had to adjust some wires so i am looking for direction on this.
I have just change the injectors to see if this is the prob but the injectors i took out are 149-190 lbs
and the new ones are 200-300 lbs, it sounds louder and has less power ? do i need to change map or put the old ones back in mine is a 110 bhp and i think the new ones are from a 130 bhp any help would be great

Have you checked the glow plugs?, perhaps a couple have failed.
Disconnect each one and measure the resistance, or remove and connect up to a 12V supply, they should heat up and the tip will glow red.

I'd suggest you re-fit the original injectors as the larger units will increase the fuelling and without other changes you'll not see any benefit.

reinstalled the old injectors,one of the glow plugs has snapped in the head,i have disconnected temp plug so the glow plug come on as they only come on if really cold but it still struggles to start,was going to change the fuel pump back to the original for the car as i cant scan the pump its blocked maybe due to it not being the original match for the ecu,the car turns over for about 8/9 seconds then starts with a cloud of grey/blue smoke unburnt fuel,it also has a very slight shudder on tick over but not all the time, maybe related maybe not,getting fed up now might send it to the big crusher in the sky

Used Vag Com never showed any faults relating to problem so i ran the pump timing graph and there it was,
the pump timing was to retarded so i undone the 3 bolts to the pump and moved it till the timing came in on the graph,now it starts instantly no more turning over fogging the street, hope this helps anyone else with this problem