chipping a 1.9 tdi

delkhela

Reaction score
is a simple process ,does it make a big difference,does it make the car less economical,is it detremental in anyway,how much does it cost ,finally is there anybody near the west mids who will chip my car for me ??????????

you will 'remap' and not 'rechip'

yes it's fairly simple

yes it makes a big difference

no, my car still hits 40mpg with ease

no it's perfectly safe and comes with a warranty

costs vary

no, you'll have to go to either jabbasport or AMD or revotek

I can only vouch for jabba as thats who did mine, and they did a cracking job - as you can see from my signature

[ QUOTE ]
delkhela said:
sorry but what is meant by remap

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi mate, 'remap' is basically what you refer to as chipping, we have got use the word 'chip' but these day, most cars have their ECU's remapped to gain performance as opposed to having a complete chip swapped over.

most companys can also provide a delivery off this system, they send it too you, plug it in your diagnosic port, press save then send it back. they then re-map the ecu program and send it back again, plug it and an upload it hey presto 40-50bhp and 40lb/ft.

or if you can do with out your can unclip the ecu send it 2 them and they will send it back done!!

£400 - around £595

Your probs looking at £475-£500 for great tuning from a decent company

If you don't want the hassle of remapping the ECU, you could get a plug in tunit box which just plugs into the injector loom and only effects the fueling. This method gives you a reasonable amount of performance increase, but in general, not as good as a full blown remap which changes the turbo pressure aswell as the fuelling. I have run one of these for the past 12 months and 20K miles on my Passat 1.9 Tdi PD with no problems, apart from going into limp mode once, which was cured by switching the engine off and back on. Drawback is lotta exhaust smoke when giving it some.

Me to Jojo ive got an A3 130TDi sport with a tunit box i think its about 170-180 but better torque, and yes it does smoke more as a bird found out in her A4 2.4 cab. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif but i'b waiting for the car to run out of warranty before i ditch the box and get a remap. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dancing.gif