VW Racing 220bhp 2.0TDI conversion

Karcsi

Reaction score
Has anyone heard of anyone having this done to their A3 or Golf V? I'd be interested to hear how the car copes with so much power, and what the performance is like. I'd be more tempted to have it done if I had quattro.

Has this just been released ? I wasn't aware that AMD were tuning the 2.0TDI.

I would be very interested to see the power graphs. I had heard the VW racing have got up to 240BHP from this engine on standard internals with no reliability issues (new turbo & ECU tweaks being the only major changes). 220BHP out of a this engine will probably mean that the car still has over 280lb/ft of torque @4000rpm. Assuming the torque profile remains similar that is going to translate to a pretty amazing real world capabilty.

I only noticed it a month or so ago. I tried to search for details on the VW Racing cars on this specially, but can't find any figures on torque profiles or performance.

I guess there need to be some suspension and wheel/tyre revisions too in order to give you a chance of transmitting all that power?

That could translate to about £4k worth of upgrades. It might be better to wait for a higher engine spec TDI quattro to come out (Autobild are speculating about a 170bhp TDI within a year, and somewhere I read that VW might be going for a 180bhp TDI for the golf) and then chip it to about 200bhp.

Shame AMD haven't mentioned it on their news page.

I know. Such a major new product, and absolutely no mention or some kind of short article about it.

Superchips are just a sponsor of the VW Racing, I don't beleive that they actually did the engine upgrade that was done by VW Racing UK themselves.

Clever bit of marketing from Superchips, get thier name on the car, don't say that they actually did the conversion or not and everybody by association assumes that it was a Superchips conversion

Err no Superchips did the work on the ECU at their headquarters in Buckingham.

Just because Superchips have a mass market target doesn't mean they don't have the expertise to manipulate ECU code, in fact they have probably been doing it as long as anyone else.

BTW I have no association with Superchips and have never bought one of their products. But at least they don't pretend to offer custom ECU maps and they do actually write their code themselves.

I've also seen this conversion on AMD's site. As the original poster hinted, I too would be somewhat concerned about how a FWD car could get this kind of power down, particularly with an engine as torque-rich as the diesel.

A work colleague has a remapped Leon Cupra TDI and this was dynoed at an impressive 190bhp with a little under 300lb/ft of torque. He said that it drives fine with just a bit of torque steer under hard acceleration, which leads me to believe that no more than 200bhp and 300lb/ft of torque would be the optimum power increase for FWD cars.

Of course, when the 2.0TDI quattro arrives then this 220bhp conversion makes more sense. If you look on superchips website at the 150bhp diesel remap (http://www.superchips.co.uk/roadtest/vag150pd.pdf), you'll note the article complains how hard it was to get the power down, a problem which 4WD easily overcomes.

0-60 in 6.8 seconds. Ouch! Who needs a petrol driven sports car! I hope Audi use their brains and give the quattro A3 at least 160bhp, if not more. They really have to, as the 1-series Beemer already has more than 160bhp.