a4 2.5 tdi lack of power

Raveydavey

Reaction score
Hi all,
I have a 1998 2.5 tdi a4 and have recently had the cambelt changed and the crankshaft seal replaced. I have only had it a month and drove it very steadily before the cambelt was done.

Today I took it out and driving up the motorway sliproad could not get any ore than 3000 rpm in 3rd. I then tried reving it in each gear and found all to be the same.

Prior to the cambelt I changed the oil breather filter and checked the turbo (which seemed fine).

I have spent quite a lot on an old car and am getting close to calling it a day.

Can anyone shed any light on the lack of power under load please? Revs fine with no load.

Cheers

Raveydavey

I would have a diagnostic scan and post the fault codes you found. It could be blocked vanes in the turbocharger or the MAF is dead. You can disconect the later to see if any difference. If the car drives better then you know that its goosed. If no change or running worse, then you need to look elsewere. Me money would be on the gummed-up turbo IF you dont drive it hard at times...

Cheers for the reply. The MAF is brand new and the turbo was cleaned 200 miles ago. My friend who used to be an audi tech seems to think it may be a timing issue or the cat blocked. Exhaust doesn't make sense as it drove ok prior to cambelt which was done 140 miles ago.

His suggestion now is to do a gas test and check to see if the timing is out.