1998 2.5 Tdi, broken Alternator, massive bill

cluelessgoon

V6 TDI
Reaction score
My fabulous 1998 Audi A4 2.5 Tdi alternator seized the other evening, destroying the tensioner, tensioner mounting bracket and belt (so the garage tell me - I've not seen the damage) . The bill to fit a new alternator is ...

£850 !!! (of which £310 is the new alternator)

I can't really justify that, so my options are

1) Do the work myself somehow. I've found a salvaged alternator for £50 (although a recon one would be better of course), but which tensioner and belt do I need for the AFB engine? The GSF website is not that descriptive.

2) Sell the car for salvage as at this age more things are likely to fail :(

3) Pay the bill somehow - maybe using a reconned alternator.

What do people think?

Cheers

If you are going down the route of replacing with a salvage part then you should be able to get hold of the tensioner + bracket as well to save costs.
Try the following contact they might be able to help as long as you give them as much info on the parts you require. They can post to you.
With the recent floods up north they might have a few in.

Overton Dismantlers
Overton Garage Ltd
off Dyce Drive
Aberdeen
Scotland AB21 0EQ
Tel: 00.44.1224.722354
Parts Fax: 00.44.1224.775451
General Fax:00.44.1224.722457
Email : sales@overtongarage.co.uk

Regards,
Jim.

Jim,

Thanks for your reply.

I found a garage who were willing to buy the car off me in the end :(. A sad day...

Cheers

Hi,

I have the parts you required if interested? Including brand new, Bosch alternator, tensioner, all pulleys ec t. off my AFB 2.5 engine!

Let me know if you need bits?

Adam

Just a note, the tensioner's are stupid money! I got quoted over £100 just for the pully tensioner on a AFN, Feck that! just gave it some good greasing with chain oil!

Last edited: