1.9 Tdi. many many problems and need help

eddie red

Reaction score
hello ladies and gents, iv recently bought a shiny 1999 A4 1.9 Tdi. im gutted though as soon after all kinds of problems showed up and i need help with them all!! 1st. on acceleration the engine surges, dies and surges and dies and so on and man the amount of black smoke out the back when its doing this is incredible!! 2nd. iv really slow coolant leak which i cant find!! i need to top up about every 800miles..any suggestions? lastly(for now) the car fogs up really quickly if more then one person is in it and the blower on full can just barely keep the windscreen clear..is this normal?!!

1st: i would check the fat pipes from intercooler to the turbocharger if they are split, 2nd: check tthe bottom corners of h radiattr for corosion, if no crusty deposits present, then it could be a leaky water pump, cyl.. head flange(check the seal) or even a craked head- if some smart *** topped up with cold fluid on a hot engine ! 3rd: see if the aircon works by pressing the snowflake button on the climate control panel...

Black smoke - check the N75 boost control valve
Your aircon may need to be re-gassed. If the previous owners didn't run it very often the rubbers may be perishing slowly and leaking.Steamed up windows and coolant leak? Any connection there in the heater system?

For the steamed up windows -
Check under the battery for water, if present then the drain is blocked with leaves etc...

The air intake for the interior of the car is next to the battery so it could be sucking some in?

remove the battery and clear the blockage.

Jim.