Buying Advice A3 TDi

recomdos

Reaction score
Website
www.audi-sport.net
Ok this is the crack. My old man does a lot of miles and I've finally persuaded him to get a new car - something more comfy/safe and economical. He's always driven Audi's (granted not always the nicest of examples - but having 2 kids I guess makes things pricey - heh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif) Anyway he loves my A3 and he now wants an A3 Tdi. This is great! I've had a little search around and prices are still high. Ideally something like mine, maybe a bit newer with lowish miles.

The help I'm after is what to look for/watch out with diesel engines. I urgently need any and as much advice on the diesel versions. ANYTHING will be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks everyone. The last thing I want to do is buy one that is gonna have endless amounts of problems, I know this can not be guaranteed of course, but knowledge is the key /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

cheers
rob /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

not had much response on here realy have you! atleast the other one is a bit more popular!
and the tdi100 is pretty quick, it also has 16" wheels on it....

cheers tony

Hi,
Have had my 130tdi quattro for 3 months now,it's a late 2002,17" alloys,half leather,cruise ,climate,upgraded (NOT bose)stereo etc.. Have done 7000 miles in it and love it to bits,am averaging 43mpg,and that's with a REVO re-map.Car has just clocked 31k,so far so good...
Regards Blackwood /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

Had quite a few diesels
Audi A4 1.9tdi 110
Audi A4 1.9tdi Quattro 110
Audi A3 1.9tdi 110
Audi 80 tdi
Audi 80 1.6td (1991)
Audi 80 1.6td (1984 very rare now)
Audi A6 2.5tdi
Audi A6 2.5tdi (140 bhp 6speed)
and
VW Golf mk2 1.6td
VW Golf mk2 1.6d
VW Golf mk2 1.6GTD
VW Jetta mk1 1.6d (1983)
VW Golf mk3 1.9td
VW Golf mk3 1.9tdi
VW Golf mk3 1.9tdi tuned to 110bhp
VW Golf mk4 1.9tdi 90bhp
VW Beetle 1.9tdi 100bhp

The tdi's are generally very reliable but from my experiences.
Common faults on the tdi's.
1.Air flow meters.
2.Leaking boost pipes.
3.Blocked cats.
4.Sticking turbo's on poorly maintained one's.

From the list of above diesels I have had.The VW Golf mk2 1.6td (1985) was a legend it covered just over 275,000mls on its original engine and gearbox. Would have still had it and put it in storage but it got pinched /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif.
Also the Audi 80 1.6td (1991) this car was another legend
after 12 years and 185,000mls on its original engine and gearbox and clutch it still had it's original exhaust. This car I had it for 7 years and in that time never had to top up the OIL or WATER once.
My current high mileage diesel is the Golf mk3 1.9tdi with a tuning box and Stainless Steel air filter.
This has just covered 216,000mls.
It still puts some newer diesels to shame. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

I have probably missed something out it is a bit late just nodding off............

Hope this helps you.
Zaf.
P.S. Go spread some SOOT /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

[ QUOTE ]
ZAF said:
No problemo /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif cheers
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif "Rover" I know - lol
As long as your dad is happy with it. i think he is! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
A friend of mine bought one..........never again. yikes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
Build quality will never be as good as Audi. true
Dodgy salesman with the A3 tdi.. I would have chinned him. tempted to - w_a_n_k stain

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif grrrrrrrrr

Never trust a second hand car sales man. heh - yup!
Live and learn dude. doing so /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Zaf.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cheers Zaf! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif