EGR Valve and Engine Breather

dinothetiger

Reaction score
hi,

I have just purchased an 2007 Audi A3 2.0 Tdi 170, and its done 37,000 miles.

Previously i owned a bmw 320D, and had to have the EGR cleaned out and Engine Breather (crankcase breather) replaced every 20k miles. Is there any need for this on these Audi's?

thanks

Cleaning the EGR gunk out can be helpful or just remove it completely. There is no crank case breather filter on these cars as the pipe is just plumbed start back into the air inlet system.

How do you clean the EGR, is it a simple DIY job? Can you do it manually or with a cleaner additive?

i want to clean the EGR valve on mine but I haven't got a clue where it is. I've seen guides on how to clean it but nobody ever includes a picture of where it is and how you remove it, any help would be very much appreciated :icon_thumright:

mine is a 2.5tdi v6 quattro

i want to clean the EGR valve on mine but I haven't got a clue where it is. I've seen guides on how to clean it but nobody ever includes a picture of where it is and how you remove it, any help would be very much appreciated :icon_thumright:

mine is a 2.5tdi v6 quattro

here it is,
081120071817.jpg

you need a 5mm alan key, time consuming as the bolt on the right is sort in space to work on, i cut mine down in size to make it fit in the space and workable.

I thought the ERG was just below the inlet manifold right infront of the engine bay?
Your picture is from a PD140 engine Turkster has posted where it is on a 2.5tdi v6 quattro.

Ahh,

I didn't catch the 2.5Tdi bit??
My bad.

Devonmikeyboy,

How did the replacement pipe effect your emissions?
Have you had any problems with it?
Did you have to have any mapping re-done to stop dash lights?

I'm seriously contemplating getting the pipe for my 170 but I would like to know all the preparation points needed etc.

Cheers,

Turk,

That looks like apig to get at!

Good luck.

Turk,

That looks like apig to get at!

Good luck.

TBH its not as bad as it could have been, take the heat chield off the turbo and a cut down alan key and its off in 20 mins max, to speed things up i used one of them closed ended spanners that act as a rachet, if you get my drift?

I think you should just remove the EGR gunk completely. The pipe is just plumbed start back into the air because there is no crank case breather filter on these kinds of cars.

Anybody help me please, trying to get mine off for a clean, got all the front of it off but its secured with some bolts on the bottom that I can't get to without taking the turbo off and I'm not about to do that?
Thanks
(A4 b6 2.5 tdi quattro AKE engine)

Last edited:
finally got elsawin going, do you have to remove the starter catalytic converter to get at the bolts at the back to take the egr valve out or is there a way round this?