2.5 TDI Turbo gone ?

Turkster

W.Bro.Paul 2.0d Q5 Quattro
Reaction score
Northampton, Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
Website
www.facebook.com
Here i am again,

My beloved Audi has thrown its toys out the pram again, I had a split in the inter cooler pipe, looks like its been there a while until it ws big enough to notice the sound, fixed that, no probs, car had a grumble when new pipe was fitted and spat a load of crap out the zoerst, then happy days,

last week the low oil light came on when i did a fast take of at full lock, so i considered it to be me being a bad driver and sloshing all the oil to one side in the sump, but as a punishment i gave it 1 ltr of the good expensive oil as a sorry, all was well,

tonight, the car lost power and would only do 60mph with the foot full jamed down on the motorway, for 5 mins, then smoke :sadlike: from the zorst,
so i pulled over and turned her off,

Mr RAC came and lent me a hand, had a good look about, run a few tests and came back with nothing, i was only 2 minles from home and decided to crawl home and get parked up,

we looked at the oil level and it was very low, lower than iv ever seen, the oil warning light has not show on the dash, so it may still need time to sink back to the bottom of the sump to get a real reading,

we then had a walk around the car and found oil spots of the rear of my car and a drag of oil dripping from one of the zorst, not good,

Mr RAC seems to think that maybe the Turbo has sprung a leak, it cant be rulled out as he seems to think the oil has been going somewhere and the engine is running sweat otherwise,

heres a photo, what are your views folks?

25062009116.jpg

sorry to hear about the turbo mate but it could have been worse i suppose, how many miles has the car done??

You are lucky mate that the seals on the inlet side did not let go otherwise you would have a run-away engine wich when it happens, many people panic and the engine self destructs...oh, and the turbo is fully rebuildable ! If you choose to have the turbo recconditioned, would you take the actuator off the old turbo ? I could pay you a tenner for it. They allways put a new actuator as the spring inside weakens and wont hold vacuum. ECP do exchange turbochargers or you could try dealer for a quote, they are not as bad as they were ?!

Last edited:
sorry to hear about the turbo mate but it could have been worse i suppose, how many miles has the car done??

the car has done 182k but this turbo was fitted from another 2nd hand car about 14k ago, TBH iv no idea how many miles the turbo had done prior to owning it, i got it for £100 so im not too pissy about it,

You are lucky mate that the seals on the inlet side did not let go otherwise you would have a run-away engine wich when it happens, many people panic and the engine self destructs...oh, and the turbo is fully rebuildable ! If you choose to have the turbo recconditioned, would you take the actuator off the old turbo ? I could pay you a tenner for it. They allways put a new actuator as the spring inside weakens and wont hold vacuum. ECP do exchange turbochargers or you could try dealer for a quote, they are not as bad as they were ?!

Umm strange, i did take they Turbo to Turbo Technics in Northampton, They took a look at it, The fans are that lose inside that they predicted that the fans would have damaged the inner walls, TBF if is very lose inside, But the did offer to get rid of it free of charge, I kept the Unit as i smelt a rat,

Iv managed to get another 2nd hand unit for £215, on ebay, it should be with me on Monday (tomorrow) The cheapest i could fond a Re-conned unit was £425 exchanged and the expensive one costs £815, Main dealer in Northampton gave me the "Ow dear, Ouch" sounds down the phone when i told them, so no need to get a price form them, lol. I will get back to you on the actuator.

Last edited:
i just wanted to inform you all that its all been fixed, after a bit of f-ing about with the bolts and blowing out all the old oil that was in the zorst the beast is back on the road and fighting fit!

but it did give me a good fight when all the smoke was coming out the zorst's! my mind was doing over time about "what if" the engines Fcuked!