A3 Tdi DSG 170Bhp - Best Mods?

Indie_DSG

Reaction score
Hey,

I pick up my A3 TDi DSG 170Bhp on Saturday :rockwoot:

Where should I start:jump:

Chip?
Filter?

Is it a PD170 or the brand new common rail TDI170 ?

Hey Mikey,

Good question, its on a 56 plate!
I'm guessing PD170?

Welcome to site & mods would be down to how much you do to your previous cars & what you like really & more importantly money huh, lol, I could list loads but what do you like your cars to be like?

Hi NHN,

Thank you for the welcome!
Well, I used to mod my XR2i back in the day and I'm comfortable with most minor things like DV, pipes, filter, Zorst and manifolds!
I love Stereo work too!

I have a Boost Gauge I hope to fit when I swap over the HU and run my Vibe AC 10".

I need help with a Door card issue too, as In how to remove sucessfully!!! LOL

Regarding future Mods, I would like a chip but not sure which one? I do a 35 mile trip from Kent in to East London which involves a hefty bit of stop start traffic so I'm hoping a chip will improve consumption here!
I also do some moderate motorway travels so love to boot it sometimes!

What Filter should I look at, if any?

Really I guess I'm looking for the right Chip & Filter combo. I am happy with the stock exhaust thats on there and may look at that later.

Cheers,

Also what benefits would a DV bring and is it worth fitting one?

Given your location mate, AMD Essex are closest to you tbh even though I use Simon @ amd surrey & he's done 3 of my cars & not one problem & love the map & considering the route you take DSG was such a wise choice with stop start huh mate, hated that ride into town, have nightmares of kidbrooke, blackwall, old kent etc etc, lol.

Filter wise well with generic map which would be your 1st step I guess which I've been happy with on my derv, stock is perfectly ok or have heard maybe green panel filter but I dont think you'd get much more air through tbh, although Mikey has a CDA but he has done a fairly serious upgrade tbh with 260+ horses so he could benefit where as 185-200bhp I cant see stock filter needing upgrading, but for £45 maybe worth a try for green panel.

Stereo wise definitely the RNS-E as it just looks nice sitting there & sounds not bad to with sat nav & SD slots & if you want to the fit the telephone with bluetooth which also integrates with the stereo fully then add the flat bottom steering wheel with multifunction buttons for controlling the head unit, it is nice mate overall.

Suspension could do with upgrade & I went with what I consider best option of Koni FSD's & Eibach Pro 30mm springs & recently upgraded to HR ARB's & this for me is suspension done when finished, I dont see need for coilovers as that kit I fitted does good ride height, loses the bouncy castle drive & makes it so much better & just overall well worthy upgrade.

Door card is case of remove the piano black or alum trim by pulling end by the door handle & do slowly & then work along with lifting of & sliding along as it has a hook at the end of it to hold in place, then at bottom of door there's 1 bolt to undo torx I think & then there's 2-3 bolts that were hidden behind the trim you removed, then get your fingers behind the door card from bottom & slowly prise it of with the clips popping of while you slowly pull of all way round but only pull it of a little until they pop as you have looms & a door lock wire to disconnect, this should do it for yer & loom plug removal is obvious.

Several tuning places like P-Torque,Custom Code etc can remove the DPF from the exhaust and fit a Milltek replacement pipe and remap the car to about 220-230bhp for £700-£900 depending on what company you go to. Just fit a Green panel filter at about £40-£50 will sort out any airfilter needs anything more will be a waste of money. Exhaust wise it`s only the back box which is the restrictive part so you can just chop off the rear box and fit a cheap free flow replacement or spend some cash and get a full Milltek system fitted when having the down pipe fitted which is what i would do. DV are for petrol cars this is a diesel and so no need or gain in fitting one.

Hi Indie DSG,

Here at Custom-code we can offer you a couple of options, please see below.

Option 1: (For Transverse Engine DPF Equipped Cars)

Milltek Large-Bore Downpipe and De-DPF
Labour to fit the above
Custom-Code DPF-OFF Tuning

Total including VAT - £999.73

Option 2: (For VW Golf 5 2.0TDI Only)

Milltek Large-Bore Downpipe and De-DPF
Milltek Non-Resonated Cat-Back
Labour to fit the above
Custom-Code DPF-OFF Tuning

Total including VAT - £1,481.45

Regards

Nino

Hey Nino

What would the genuine numbers anyone would get after the work has been done mate?

Thanks.

N

Hi N,

With full exhaust system on you will see in the region of 230bhp and approx 320lbs of torque.

Regards

Nino

Urmm this is interesting, might be talking to you soon then.

Just resolving my HR ARB issues 1st.

Thanks for the reply.

Hey Nino,

Can you offer any group discounts on package 1? Say if me and N both booked in?

Also I want to fit a Boost Gauge and need to know the best route in from the engine bay, also need to run Amp cable too!

Cheers for all you comments.

Hi,

Also how do I know if I have DPF or Pd?
Its a 56 plate and I have been told that the DPF only came in to play on 2007+

If the DPF is removed, will this affect emissions/MOT?

I suspect yours doesnt have DPF tbh mate as it I dont recall this out on the 8P in 06, also there is some spare cow udder nipples (you'll see what I mean, lol) behind the battery location in corner where the abs controller is for extra wires to go through behind the glovebox, be careful pushing through not to damage existing wires, I did my TPMS wires through there so you should be fine, always reseal the holes once cables in place with sealant so no damp gets in.

So Nino,

What can you offer on a PD170? :drool:

Chip and Filter?

Roll on Saturday!!

N,

I know what you mean about the traffic!
Blackwall was a bitch this AM, what with the tube strike and all!

Picked Her up today!

MY GOD......... What a car!

More to come I think :thumbsup:

lol, hey wait till you get the fecker mapped mate, you'll be in heaven, lol.

Hi All,

Well basics are done!
Dont bother looking for a sensible route for any kind of cabling, piping from the engine bay through the bulkhead, there ain't one!

I decided to run cables and tubes down the side of the wing by carefully making a hole in the hard grey polystyrene material and then through the spare grommet in the door pillar and behind into the glovebox area!

The glovebox was easy enough to get out, just make sure you get the bolt in the back of the box, I missed that and nearly fekked it.

There is so much technology behind there its scary!

For my Alpine iPod magic box I cut a hole in the side of the glovebox and fed the 2 connections in when putting the glovebox back in place.

SO......

I have all wires in place and just await the facia for the right stereo fit. I have all wires to the boot sorted and found easy to conseal under the trim with a little nip and tuck here and there.

I also ran a piece of tubing for the boost gauge, when the zmaxautosport air vent pod arrives I will hook it all up.

Next step door cards and new front speakers. I have ordered the plywood baffles as there necessary says AndyMac (always trust what this man says!) but dont know how to get in to the poxy tweeters?

I may have to attack with a stanley knife and glue the new pods in place?
I will think more on that one.

Right, the real stuff.................................MAPS!

REVO dont list a map for the 170 TDi as far as I know, will a REVO map be the best for my car?
Should I look at a bluefin, what benefits will I have?

I want something that isn't going to be wipped or deleted when I take it for a service, what can I look at here?

Please get your feedback ASAP as payday looms and I want to get it sorted :)

Hi Indie,

We can offer you phase 1 remap for £362.25inc vat, as for air filters we can offer you a Green cotton for £50+vat.

If you require anymore information please give me a call on 01246 455004.

Regards

Nino