EM TuningChris Nott
    Neutral

Status

EGR Removal Isit Worth it

are they worth it at all and has anyone tryed them? this is the kit im thinking about getting but i dont wana get it if its gona do more harm than good confusing the ecu or such like this is the kit ive seen( http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/EGR-Valve-Powe...1%7C240%3A1318 ) ...would anyone be able to also conferm weather or not it would fit my audi 80tdi 1Z engine? thanks

2. # ADS
    ADS

4th Gear

Status
    my understanding is that you will constantly have the check engine light on with this - so you wont know if something else goes wrong - this function can be removed in a custom remap.

the egr valve shuts off (mostly) when the throttle is opened anyway, so apart from reducing gunge in the inlet (you could clean it?) it wont actually do anything in terms of performance/economy etc.
    TT-RS 410hp revo
    Fiat 500 1.3 tdi 120hp
    A3 8P 2.0tdi 240hp Autograph Cars
    RS4 B5 520hp MTM
    S3 8L 345hp MTM
    Volvo 850 T5 300hp BSR
    Fiat Punto GT 130hp
    Lancia Delta Turbo 185hp
    Lancia Beta Coupe 122hp
    Mini 74hp

Neutral

Status
    thanks for clearing that up for me

1st Gear

Status
    You don't need that kit to remove the EGR, that kit is a 'Race Pipe' it's purpose is to improve airflow to the intake, problem with them is that it replaces the anti-shudder valve (ASV) and therefore the engine doesn't stop sharply when you turn it off. The ASV has a flap which activates when you turn the key to off and starve the engine of air and gives a quick and stop.

To remove the EGR all you need is two blanking plates, remove the inter-connecting pipe between the exhaust and the ASV and fit the plates. Sounds easy, took me ages, could have done with smaller hands and two elbows on each arm.

I took mine of a year ago and have never had a check engine light (CEL), the engine did feel better for removing the EGR, I took the opportunity to the clean the ASV also as it was covered in thick sticky gunk from the EGR. If all removing the EGR achieves is preventng all that rubbish entering the air intake them I'm happy.
    Last edited by clcollins; 10th April 2009 at 22:32.
    Audi A3 1.9TDI Sport Quattro

Neutral

Status
    top bit of reading there mate thanks...has anyone done or could they do a how to on this or would it be easyer if i just took the EGR of and soaked it in petrol over night n tryed to clean it off? as i think its the EGR being the cause of my rough idle i have i got the pressure sensor comin next week to help sort out the juddering i got wen its tryin 2 boost as it judders wen tryin 2 boost then wen boostin its fine but then runs out of puff about 4k
    thanks

Status
    Try looking on here, its a popular subject to say the least http://www.tdiclub.com/
    2001 A6 Avant 2.5TDi quattro Sport 180hp+TurboDynamics MD438 hybrid+Bosio Race683s+3" exhaust+Celtic Tuning remap - now with adamss24 replaced with runabout
    2007 BMW 535d AM Sport + Celtic remap
    2004 A4 Avant 1.9TDi quattro Sport 130hp + Superchip - sold & replaced by
    2005 Audi TT 1.8T
    1988 Yamaha FJ1200 120hp finally traded after 23 years for
    1986 Yamaha FJ100 (1300 barrels shhh!) with too many bits to mention
    2011 BMW 320d M Sport son #1
    2004 Suzuki SV650 S son #2

Neutral

Status
    HAD A PROBLEM WITH MY A4 B7 2.O TDI NO FAULS SHOWING MASS AIRFLOW REPLACED DIDNT SOLVED IT NOT CONSISTANT SO BAD NOT DRIVEABLE,HAD TO TAKE IT TO AUDI NICE BILL 500 EGR REPLACEMENT WISH I HAD BLANKED IT NOW LOST MY MAP AS WELL,I'M STARTING TO GET OVER IT NOW

Neutral

Status
    HAD A PROBLEM WITH MY A4 B7 2.O TDI NO FAULS SHOWING MASS AIRFLOW REPLACED DIDNT SOLVED IT NOT CONSISTANT SO BAD NOT DRIVEABLE,HAD TO TAKE IT TO AUDI NICE BILL 500 EGR REPLACEMENT WISH I HAD BLANKED IT NOW LOST MY MAP AS WELL,I'M STARTING TO GET OVER IT NOW

Neutral

Status

Neutral

Status

Neutral

Status

Neutral

Status

Neutral

Status