EGR Removal Isit Worth it

StompOn

Reaction score
my understanding is that you will constantly have the check engine light on with this - so you wont know if something else goes wrong - this function can be removed in a custom remap.

the egr valve shuts off (mostly) when the throttle is opened anyway, so apart from reducing gunge in the inlet (you could clean it?) it wont actually do anything in terms of performance/economy etc.

You don't need that kit to remove the EGR, that kit is a 'Race Pipe' it's purpose is to improve airflow to the intake, problem with them is that it replaces the anti-shudder valve (ASV) and therefore the engine doesn't stop sharply when you turn it off. The ASV has a flap which activates when you turn the key to off and starve the engine of air and gives a quick and stop.

To remove the EGR all you need is two blanking plates, remove the inter-connecting pipe between the exhaust and the ASV and fit the plates. Sounds easy, took me ages, could have done with smaller hands and two elbows on each arm.

I took mine of a year ago and have never had a check engine light (CEL), the engine did feel better for removing the EGR, I took the opportunity to the clean the ASV also as it was covered in thick sticky gunk from the EGR. If all removing the EGR achieves is preventng all that rubbish entering the air intake them I'm happy.

top bit of reading there mate thanks...has anyone done or could they do a how to on this or would it be easyer if i just took the EGR of and soaked it in petrol over night n tryed to clean it off? as i think its the EGR being the cause of my rough idle i have i got the pressure sensor comin next week to help sort out the juddering i got wen its tryin 2 boost as it judders wen tryin 2 boost then wen boostin its fine but then runs out of puff about 4k
thanks

HAD A PROBLEM WITH MY A4 B7 2.O TDI NO FAULS SHOWING MASS AIRFLOW REPLACED DIDNT SOLVED IT NOT CONSISTANT SO BAD NOT DRIVEABLE,HAD TO TAKE IT TO AUDI NICE BILL £500 EGR REPLACEMENT WISH I HAD BLANKED IT NOW LOST MY MAP AS WELL,I'M STARTING TO GET OVER IT NOW

HAD A PROBLEM WITH MY A4 B7 2.O TDI NO FAULS SHOWING MASS AIRFLOW REPLACED DIDNT SOLVED IT NOT CONSISTANT SO BAD NOT DRIVEABLE,HAD TO TAKE IT TO AUDI NICE BILL £500 EGR REPLACEMENT WISH I HAD BLANKED IT NOW LOST MY MAP AS WELL,I'M STARTING TO GET OVER IT NOW