Is anyone using BioDiesel?

ianburtney

Reaction score
Just wondering what experiences people have had of BioDiesel - ie fuel efficiency, performance, engine issues etc.
I have a 2001 A4 Tdi 130 and have found a service station which sells Bio for 69p /litre - Im just concerned that I could harm my engine? - Have I any need for concern or is it perfectly safe to switch??

I believe that Tesco are selling Greenergy "Globaldiesel" which is a blend of 5% Biodiesel, and 95% normal ultra low sulpher diesel. All Diesel vehicles are I believe able to run on this mix. VW / Audi are one of the few manufacturers to state that all their vehicles made after 1996 (I Think !) are able to run on 100% Biodiesel.(B100)

Stations selling B100 are somewhat rare, the one I use is a small independant producer with their own filling station on the A64 just outside York.

Other stations in this area are selling Rix Biodiesel which again is a 5%, 95% Mix, but about the same price as normal diesel.

Whilst environmental concerns surely play a part in using Bio, good old Cash is, I am sure, the reason most of us would consider changing.

Alwyn,

Where's this filling station with Bio diesel? I live in York and I'm up for saving a few quid!!

York station is on the A64, maybe a couple of miles past the last roundabout going towards Malton, on the right opposite the Highwayman cafe. It is called I D Oils. Last time I was in about 2 weeks ago price was 69.9 ppl. They don't take plastic though only cash or cheques.

I could be in for a cheap trip to the coast then this weekend!!!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Hi!

Sorry if this is a thick question, but reading the above, am I right in saying that :

1. My 2004 Audi A4 Tdi 100 (PD engine) is able to run on Bio without modification?
2. That this doesn't invalidate any warranty?

Also,

3. Is this stated anywhere in the owners manuals?

and finally

4. Is Biodiesel just like vegitable oil? If so, could I go down to the local Asda and buy a couple of 5 litre bottles of smart price veggie oil (assuming of course, that I pay the duty on it)?

THANKS & SORRY IF THIS IS A THICK QUESTION!

Sod that, 69p a litre !!!

Use 28 second heating oil, just as good, mpg is down about 5% but at 17p a litre who cares, the car is just as pokey /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I was going to use Tesco BioDiesel until I saw the price.

Why do we have to pay more to save the environment? surely the government should lower the tax on environmently friendly fuel to encourage us to use it!

Well thats my 10 Pence worth.

Gizze, I have heard about using veg oil to run diesel cars but not 28 Second oil 'Kerosene', what is the long term effects, if any?

Regards,

Jim.

Moschino, the long term effect of running on kero is serious assault on the wallet if Customs & Excise find out !! It is an un taxed fuel like red diesel.

Alwin,

Point taken, do you work for HMCE by any chance?

I was just curious if there was any long tern effects on the engine. I doubt I have the bottle to run mine on anything but overtaxed Diesel /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Thanks Alwin,

As I said above, it was just pure curiosity.

You are lucky to be saving 10 ppl on Bio, here in Milton Keynes there seems to be a lot of price fixing going on with the garages. Tesco BioDiesel was one pence per litre more expensive than normal Diesel the last time I filled up.

Yes, that seems to be the norm with the big companies. I havn't checked the prices on our local Biodiesel forecourts,other than the one I use, but suspect that they will be the same as normal derv or as you say possibly a penny or so over. Maybe they are trying to fleece the greens as well as everybody else. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Hi All,
My mate and I both filled our cars together at the York place,£30 each,I must stress that we may have just been unlucky,but both cars ran like a bag of sh*te,his refused to start and had to be bump started for a few days,they stunk like a chip shop,and performance dropped by about 30%,we both swore never to use it again,it took several weeks to "dilute" it back to normal derv.... As I said,we may have just got a bad batch,but have never tried it since.. Don't want to appear negative as I've also heard positive reports,this is just my own personal experience...
Regards Blackwood /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Joshua

Yes recently as the weather has got colder, my A3 TDI 110 dosn't start as easily from cold. It needs a good spin over and is a bit smoky first few seconds. Other than that it is still running as well as ever.

I read on some of the Biodiesel forums in the States they mix with some regular Diesel in cold weather. I will have to have another look to see what quanitities they are talking about. At the minute it is not a problem, but might well be in the middle of winter.

I didn't know about his filtration issue, but as mine is OK with it I am not too worried.