98 A4 TDI(110)

fatbob

Reaction score
Hello all nice board got lots of info off here already /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gifhope to give some back

Anyway my a4 tdi red eye has a very rattly ringing catalitic converter and im just wondering about a couple of things?
1:are they rrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeaaly expensive to replace?
2:could i cut it open empty it ,tig it back up and just run it?
excuse my ignorance but i'm new to diesels /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

thx in advance /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jawdrop.gif

Now then fatboy glad you could join the board, yes cats are exspensive especilly if you take it to a main dealer, you might be better getting a performance exhust. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

mine did the same, but it was the "flex joint" which failed. It had cracked and was making a gradualy noisier rattle.

I removed the cat pipe, ground off the outer mesh/guard and tig welded the fracture.
Fine now.
PS I was quoted £200.00 for new cat at local motor factors (and that was with a trade discount)

Fatbob,

I had this on my 98 TDredI.

The inside of the cat was rattling and after a few months it started to block the exhaust pipe and cause back pressure, could only do 30MPH until I hit it with a hammer! The insides was the same size as a tennis ball!
Either replace it with another one or remove it and smash out the insides and replace the origional. It is not a MOT failure to have a non functioning cat on a diesel.
To remove, put the front of the car up on ramps.
Get underneath, about half way down the car and disconnect the exhaust joint, a bit of wiggling is needed here.
Remove the 3 bolts that hold the cat to the turbo.
You should be able to remove the cat and pipe up through the engine bay so you can get to the remaining 3 bolts that connect the pipe to the cat.
Takes about 1 hour to do.
Jim.