Biofuel in the 1Z

Teabag

Reaction score
I hope I am not asking a question that has be answered before but I have looked and couldn't see anything honest!

But I have a 1993 audi 80 tdi with the 1Z engine and I was wondering if it is possible to run it on biofuel or svo etc! especially as the cost of diesel has gone up so much the cost of a home kit looks more and more tempting but only if my car will cope with it!

Does anyone have an experience of using biofuel with this engine or anywhere that I can look to find this information?

Many thanks

VAG states bio-diesel compatibility only from 1996, but not for the latest 2L tdi's. As for SVO maybe a blend although the jury is out on the long-term issues regarding that.

I'm looking to twin-tank the A4 (B6 130) very soon, with the amount of mileage i cover i'll break even in 6 months.

its likely that bio is ok, but your fuel lines and seals may be subject to dissolving - i guess only a trial will say. the engine and pump will be fine

veggie oil at 30% in diesel is pretty much ok with any engine and pump but since veggie oil is about the same cost as bio you are probably better off with 60-70& methyl ester bio rather than the veggies which is higher viscocity and contains lots of glycerol chains