A3 1.9 TDI blue smoke

bham a3

Reaction score
Hi I have an audi a3 1.9 TDI 2001 reg, when I start my car in the morning I get blue smoke come out the exhaust it can quite abit. The engine seems like it find's it hard to turn out aswell, this only happen's in the morning. The blue smoke is present for about 10 seconds and then goes. Also if you then turn the engine off and restart the engine no smoke is present. I have recently had the car service and had a cambelt changed if this is of any help to anybody. The can is on a long life service, Ive recent top the oil up on the car with castol edge oil. I use to do alot of motorway traveling but since changing jobs I havent and since then the smoke has been present, the car has done 85,000 miles which average for its age. Could anyb ody please point me in the right direction for the reasons why the smoke is present, how to resolve the smoke aswell.

the smoke is present on startup for 1 of 2 reasons.
1 the turbo seals are a little slack and oil is dripping into the turbine housing when the engine is hot, then burning off when you start
or
2 more likely the valve stem seals are getting on a bit and when you shut the engine off at night (or whenever) the hot thin oil runs past the seals and down the valve stem. It then collects in the intake, exhaust and cylinders depending on the position of the valve head.

When you start in the morning, this oil burns off giving the blue smoke.
Not to be confused with black smoke which is soot.

Its not really anything to worry too much about, it wont hurt the engine as long as it clears after a few seconds and doesn't return until after a long idle period (engine off for a good few hours)

Thanks for the advise, is there any way of seen weather it is option one or option two?
Also what sort of cost are you looking at with both options and is there anyway of preventing them from gettin worse in anyway? Is this quite a common problem? have these issue issue came about due to the milage of the car and age?