2.5 tdi rough idle

jonplace

Reaction score
Hello all

I have noticed that my 2.5tdi (2003 150bhp AKN 60’000 miles) seems to idle rough when warmed up. It still sounds rough when increasing the revs slightly to about 1000rpm. Once revved over this its fine and smooth. I am concerned that the timing is slightly out. Or could is be something else ?
For a V6 i was expecting a much smoother idle

I have VAG COM system, anything I should check before getting the dealer involved ?

Many thanks

I had the same problem with mine, and yes, it was the timing. The mechanic who put my cam belt on didn't put it on correctly, damn him

well mines due a cambelt rather soon. my local dealer has said they will do the cambelt for £350 which i though was ****** good. They said they can replace the fuel pump belt for an extra £20. I'll ask them to check the pump timing after the belts are done. I'll report back the results.
BTW its pullman VW in durham, they offer good service and offer some pretty good discounts if you keep using them for future servicing

that is a good price. It cost me £700 for cambelt, service and the new water pump prop. I think they saw me coming somehow.

no they didnt see you coming, thats a good price, my price was cambelt only at £354 all in.

A 60K (big) service costs extra £239
and the water pump was £200 if i want that doing while the front end off

so thats £739 all in if i want the lot done, i did check.

so £700 is rather good for all that work / parts

I suppose, but i found a place with a good reputation which could have done it for 500, never mind. I need to get the timing sorted still, as I have left it too long, although it would make a John Deere owner proud at the moment with the sound.

DJP motors in starcross, just south of exeter. Dave, who owns it is really into his cars, and what I like about it is that he'll stop what he's doing, and come and chat about what you want from your car, and not try and sell you the most expensive bits. Not bad, and my previous car (306 1.9tdi) ran alot better having taken it to him after a visit to the stealers.

I have similar problem and diagnostics does not detect anything. Dealer and my Garage are asking to diagnose mechanical fault and will charge at hourly rate until the fault is found.

I have also tried cleaning MAF sensor using Electrical Contact Cleaner but did not make any difference.

The problem only seems to be when car is started, idle or on traffic lights mostly when cold but it also happens with warm engine. When I start car in morning the engine rev goes up and down with appx 2 sec interval and sometimes it even stalls at traffic lights if I don't give enough gas.

Any suggestions or help will be very helpful as cannot commit to the garages or dealers with an unknown amount of bill. BTW it is an Audi A4 1.9tdi PD engine 2000 model.

However if I am driving at a speed requires rev over 2K, it is perfect.