EGR Valve vaccum pipe? And random squeek between 1800 and 2100 rpm?

Bigman

Cornish and Proud!
Reaction score
Hey guys.

I have just been having a look at a few little niggles on my car (1.9tdi re-mapped to 150hp) and i noticed that on the rear of the EGR valve there is a vaccum pipe that doesn't appear to be connected to anything, but there is also a small unit with an electrical connection and various other small hoses coming off it that is mounted on (Bolts onto a bracket that points down into the engine bay) to the rigid air inlet pipe at the back of the engine that appears to have part of a hose attached that looks like it has been broken, does the vaccum pipe off the EGR valve go to this unit?

I also have a random squeek coming from somewhere in the engine bay, it initialy starts around 1700-1800rpm and then dissappears around 2100 - 2200rpm but only when the engine is under load, it sounds as if it could be a bearing somewhere, My initial thoughts were that it could be the turbo as it starts at a point where the turbo would be spooling up, but if it was the turbo i would not expect it to stop after a 2100ish rpm. There are no power losses either? Anybody have an idea what it could be?

Thanks

Adam

From what you describe, the hose connects to that very bolted unit (the one on the left as you face the car). I know because mine failed along with the hose so I had to replace it.

It will have been taken off to effectively disable the EGR.

From what you describe, the hose connects to that very bolted unit (the one on the left as you face the car). I know because mine failed along with the hose so I had to replace it.

It will have been taken off to effectively disable the EGR.

What advantages are there to disabling the EGR? Is it worth connecting it back up?

Adam