Why does it feel my car is breathing through a sock?!

denzelburner

Reaction score
As it says in the title. It feels like this when I hit 3000rpm, and is particularly noticable when accelarating up hill. It's only just started feeling like this, and I have a service in another 2k miles. It's done 107k.

Any sugggestions would be gratefully recieved :)

Not sure on your model and engine but it should be in the air intake shortly after the air filter. You'll see an electrical connection to part of the pipework with jubilee clips at either side. That's the MAF.

There was a test where if you unplugged it and performance was the same it indicated the MAF had gone but I don't know how reliable that is.

You can clean them if you're careful but an exchange from Audi is around £80 so probably easier to get a new one.

It's a B5 A4 2.5 tdi V6 2000 (V reg.), with a big plastic cover over the engine, so unable to see the layout of the engine until I take it off

On my A6 I can see the MAF even with the engine cover fitted. Don't know whether the A4 is different but I thought I'd mention it.

The MAF is black plastic, about the size of a can of soup, and as Macduff says, it has jubilee clips at each end. It might be obvious if you lift the bonnet.

Don't pay anybody to install this - it's really easy to do.

250120082139.jpg

250120082137.jpg

250120082135.jpg

250120082134.jpg