Dealer service oil **** up!

tubtub

Reaction score
I had my 2001 A4 TDI PD serviced at an Audi dealership last week. On checking the invoice back at home I spotted the price of the oil was very cheap for 505.01 (the grade the owner's manual says is a MUST for PD engines).

I phoned with the dealership - they'd filled it with 505.00 which, according to them, was interchangeable with 505.01. We spent some time debating why the manual says use only oil conforming to VW specification 505.01.

They said they'd checked, were sure they were right as they'd downloaded and printed out the relevant page from ELSA. They did however agree to change the oil if I took the car back - which I immediately did. Fortunately I'd only driven about two miles from the dealership to home and the oil was changed free of charge.

In the meantime I'd e-mailed Audi Customer Service who phoned me back on Monday saying I was right and that it should have been 505.01 in my engine. I explained that I'd gone back to the dealership and had the oil changed but was concerned that the mistake had been made and wondered how many other customers' cars had been incorrectly filled.

Audi Customer Service agreed to contact the dealership and later phoned me again to say they had done so and had drawn attention to their error and the dealership assures me that I will receive first class service should I take my car back there in the future...

So beware - check your invoice very carefully and make sure you ask about the cost and specification of materials used.

Thats good advise.

The problem is that most garages don't specify which oil they use.
I recently had my car serviced and the invoice simply says 'Oil'

However I am quite confident that they used the correct oil as they provided a 1ltr top up bottle in the boot and this is the correct oils for my car.

In the future I think I will buy my own oils and ask them to use that during a service. That way you have a better chance of getting the correct oil for your car and you save quite a bit of money as I can buy a 4 litre Castrol Edge on the Internet for about £38 delivered.

Well, my first A4 was on Longlife servicing and I obtained a print-out of all the work that had been done when the previous owner had it. One invoice listed Magnatec had been used when doing the oil change !! It's not even fully synthetic.

tubtub said:
I had my 2001 A4 TDI PD serviced at an Audi dealership last week. On checking the invoice back at home I spotted the price of the oil was very cheap for 505.01 (the grade the owner's manual says is a MUST for PD engines).

I phoned with the dealership - they'd filled it with 505.00 which, according to them, was interchangeable with 505.01. We spent some time debating why the manual says use only oil conforming to VW specification 505.01.

They said they'd checked, were sure they were right as they'd downloaded and printed out the relevant page from ELSA. They did however agree to change the oil if I took the car back - which I immediately did. Fortunately I'd only driven about two miles from the dealership to home and the oil was changed free of charge.

In the meantime I'd e-mailed Audi Customer Service who phoned me back on Monday saying I was right and that it should have been 505.01 in my engine. I explained that I'd gone back to the dealership and had the oil changed but was concerned that the mistake had been made and wondered how many other customers' cars had been incorrectly filled.

Audi Customer Service agreed to contact the dealership and later phoned me again to say they had done so and had drawn attention to their error and the dealership assures me that I will receive first class service should I take my car back there in the future...

So beware - check your invoice very carefully and make sure you ask about the cost and specification of materials used.
Thanx for the advice....

couple of questions as im due a service. how much did it cost you for the service? did you get a cambelt change from dealers?

I'm having mine done at Stafford Audi tomorrow so will be keeping an eye on the bill, they are charging me £189 for a full major service so I think that is a good price.

189 pounds is very good for a major sirvice ,cos i had a basic one and it cost me £180 at blackburn audi garage