Diesel Engine transplant needed for 98 A6 2.8L: What engine should I look for?

98_A6Q

Reaction score
I have a 98 Audi A6 that I like enough to thinkabout an engine transplant instead of buying a VW TDI (not to mention the Audi is much more comfortable!!).

I want to do this because I will be producing my own biodiesel, so my fuel will be much cheaper (to a tune of $2,000+ per year).

I don't know if it is possible to do a transplant in this car, but what engines are suitable for this switch?

Is the 2.7TT Diesel version that I have seen available in Austraila a good choice? What engine would you drop in?

BTW it is a quattro.

I think you'd struggle to get the 2.7 working easily as it's a very new engine and as such the electronics would be a real pain to get working with your '98 car.

Probably better to look out for a 2.5 from around your model year.

Thanks for the advice. I always had a desire for the 2.7TT gas power engine, so I thought the diesel would be a great engine.

I've been trying to find a place that sells diesel in the states, but haven't. Any suggestions as to where I could look? what about the UK?

Thanks

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=46821

Have a read of these other threads and these guys might be able to help. From what I've heard modern PD engines and high pressure Direct injection engines don't last to long on biodiesel as there is not enought lubrication in the fuel for the diesel pumps and they wear quickly.
The older direct injection and non direct injections seem to work better. the 2.5TDI could be your best bet

There is a very long string on tdiclub.com where someone did something similar. He imported an engine form Austria or Poland i think. If you type " 2.5 V6 TDI A4 Avant Quattro swap project " into the site search you will find the thread.

fjtwelve said:
There is a very long string on tdiclub.com where someone did something similar. He imported an engine form Austria or Poland i think. If you type " 2.5 V6 TDI A4 Avant Quattro swap project " into the site search you will find the thread.

thank you very much. That's the forum I started in, but then thought about swapping thu audi engine instead of buying i 2.5..

enda1 said:
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=46821

Have a read of these other threads and these guys might be able to help. From what I've heard modern PD engines and high pressure Direct injection engines don't last to long on biodiesel as there is not enought lubrication in the fuel for the diesel pumps and they wear quickly.
The older direct injection and non direct injections seem to work better. the 2.5TDI could be your best bet

I think you have WVO (Wast Vegetable Oil) and BioD confused here. BioD is great for lubrication. I've read reports of a 98% Kerosene 2% BioD mix enough for adequate lubricate for extended use.

From the 98 cars you could probably fit in a 150 or 163 hp 2.5 TDI into the engine bay, but the bottom of the engine and gearbox may not fit your quattro running gear. If you go to http://www.vagcat.com/ and start comparing parts numbers and diagrams you should get an idea if it will fit or not. The 180hp is a different animal as I know to my cost and i would guess it wouldn't fit. Plenty of chips available for the 150/163 that will bring you up to 180 or so.
You are looking at a big job, and importing a complete car may be quicker easier and cheaper, including a trip to Europe to buy it....

fjtwelve said:
From the 98 cars you could probably fit in a 150 or 163 hp 2.5 TDI into the engine bay, but the bottom of the engine and gearbox may not fit your quattro running gear. If you go to http://www.vagcat.com/ and start comparing parts numbers and diagrams you should get an idea if it will fit or not. The 180hp is a different animal as I know to my cost and i would guess it wouldn't fit. Plenty of chips available for the 150/163 that will bring you up to 180 or so.
You are looking at a big job, and importing a complete car may be quicker easier and cheaper, including a trip to Europe to buy it....

I think importing will be the way to go. That thread on TDIClub was way to much. I'd rather have a nice little trip to Europe too! Thanks for your help!