1996 A6 1.9 tdi everything replaced still no power

2.5 tdi dan

Reaction score
Recently purchased this from an auction only to find it wont rev beyond 3k.The car is a 1996 A6 with the 90 bhp engine,I replaced the maf,n75 valve,egr valve and the turbo,from a good running 99 a4,the problem is still there,I am wondering if it is a fuel pump fault or ecu problem,or is there any other sensors which would cause this.I have looked through other theads but none really give me an answer.

Need to find a man with VAG COM by the sound of it. You have already covered everything mechanical I did to my old 1995 A80 1.9Tdi and 1998 VW Passat 1.9TDi when I had loss of power apart from replacing the air filter, but that only took the edge off things rather than strangle it at 3000rpm.
Try the temperature sensors, if they fail then I seem to remember if the engine thinks its cold when it isn't then it is over fuelling and it chokes itself on diesel. A nameless VW garage in Edinburgh told me my Passat needed a new £1000 turbo and my local garage replaced the £15 sensor with complete success.

Have had ecu to the ecu doctor and is certified ok,would the temp sensors cause this and where are they located

Sorry as I didn't do it myself I don't know the location, you'll need the help of one of our more mechanically able friends to tell you.
When you say ecu doctor do you mean VAG COM? I am surprised that with such a fundamental problem nothing showed up as a fault.

May be you have checked it but the cat can break up and block the exhaust,I had it on 90bhp 1996 A4tdi

I second the CAT reply.
My 1.9 TDi CAT fell apart inside and it blocked the exhaust. I was unable to go above 30MPH at times.
By the time I took the cat apart the inside was the same size/shape as a tennis ball.
Shashed it out and put the cat back on.

Do you get a rattle from the CAT when the engine is running?
I used to hit mine with a hammer to clear the block, only lasted a few miles before it blocked up again.