A4 TDi cuting out!

leerally

Reaction score
Hello all! Newbie here. Quite impressed with the help offered on here. Ive got a 90bhp 1995 A4 tdi with about 320,000 on the clock. Yes you read that right. Its the kind of car VAG-AUDI should buy back from myself for research purposes. Ive had it about 8 years and its been the best car ive ever owned, by far. Original engine and turbo, never rebuilt, various cambelts later, and on its 4rd gearbox. Ive recently had a problem ive never experienced before though. My engine fires up on the first kick as it always has, but now then immediately cuts out after starting. This will happen about twice before it will stay on, then run faultlessley afterwards. Makes no difference on how often ive been driving during the day, temperature, or the start and stops ive made etc. Sometimes this problem will show, sometimes it wont. Am not too technically adept, but i know a fair bit about maintenance. All i know is it could be one of many things. I dont cane it, i ONLY run BP-Ultimate or V-power diesel in it, and quality engine oils, so it hardly smokes, and power feels normal. Any help would be most welcome!

Can't answer your problem, but I must say 4 gearboxes in 320K sound like a lot - they don't seem to be lasting long on average.

Sounds like air is seeping in to the delivery system somewhere, check the unions, and check the diesel filter (has it been changed recently?) Also check the water seperator (not sure where it is on your car normally in the bottom of the fuel filter housing)

And behold! It was the key! Apparently because of its age, the coded/chipped keys' ability starts to fade. The ECU struggles to recognise the key on start up, so thinks the car is being stolen, and shuts down. Not bad for 1996 technology i have to say. So a replacement cost me £20 from a local key cutter today. With codes reinstalled on a new key. Not bad considering the £90 AUDI quoted me to do the same!:faint:

how did you reinstall codes into key as i need to do this to my A4 key I am still on No1 gearbox and on 247000miles ........but have the same fault now and again were it does not switch off the immobilizer

Am in S.E London, and there was only 3 locksmiths who could cut coded keys in my area, and then only one who eventually could do an Audi one. All could cut me a key that could unlock the doors only for £5, but only one could guarantee me a key that would also start the car. They all knew each other despite their spread, so it was also weirdly a recommendation amongst all 3. All of them had some sort of key code reader in the back room, but only one agreed he could do the job after checking out the codes first. The whole process took 5 mins from walking into the shop to leaving, for the key to be read, cut and coded. There could be someone who could similar in your area if you dig around, but if not, let me know and i'll give you a phone number and you could find out if these lot can do it for you via post maybe.

Excellent, well done for finding out and actually putting the solution!