30mph what gear?

K-Dash

Reaction score
Wasn't sure where to post this really.

I've turned into a really boring person, i'm setting myself mpg targets in my A3 2.0 TDi Sport 140.

So in a 30 is it ok to cruise in 6th. or does it put strain on the car?

thanks

Being in a higher gear doesn't always mean that mpg will be better. The engine probably won't be in an efficient zone. I believe that engines are generally at their most efficient when running at peak torque revs i.e. around 2k for your car which translates to 3rd gear at 30mph

You'll also find the car significantly more responsive if you need a sudden burst of acceleration for some reason.

I think there are greater MPG gains to be made by looking ahead and planning your driving instead of reacting to hazards when you reach them. It's also much more relaxing to drive this way

thanks guys.

So 2k revs is better for economical driving you say?

the most economical point is when the turbo has just spun up, so should be about 1600-1800 rpm. below this the engine is having to work harder so it adds more fuel than is necessary. above this engine speed it starts to add more fuel again. so as said 30mph = 3rd gear. the best bit is this is also the point when you have the best acceleration, so perfect for overtaking!!