AH FabricationsJMB Retrofits
    rws
    Reverse Gear

Status

1.9tdi A3 burning oil

Hi there. My a3 is burning a litre of oil every 1000 miles. The turbo was replaced about four months ago because of seal failure so i was told. There was oil coming out of the exhaust. Once the new turbo was fitted, Audi told me that the car would smoke a bit for a while to burn off the excess oil. After about 2000 miles the car still seems to be smoking, but only for about 20 seconds or so after initial startup. It is worse the longer the car has been left without being used. The car seems to be no loss of performance with the car and the fuel consumption is fine. The oil consumption is worrying. Any advice would be appreciated.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Neutral

Status
    How old is the car.....and what the dealership say about the oil loss!!!

P.S..............and do you know it the cleaned out the intercooler and intake hoses etc.
    Last edited by golisago; 3rd December 2007 at 19:27.

1st Gear

Status
    The use of oil by the engine is normal, and it should be using about 1 litre to every 1k miles. The engine is designed to use a small amount of oil to lubricate the cylinder heads etc.
    Hope this helps
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten

2000 B5 2.5tdi V6 (if only it were a quattro)

2nd Gear

Status
    I thought diesel fuel was oil!
    So, oil use of 1litre for 1000 miles = 4 oil changes in 20,000 mile service intervals!

Status
    I have had 4 Audis and a Passat and none of them has ever used remotely close to a litre of oil per 1000 miles even at 150-200,000 miles. My A6 with its rebuilt engine and turbo smoked more when i got it back, i had put it down to pootling around slowly instead of the more usual high speed cruising. After about 2000 miles its had one 450 mile thrash, and i have changed my driving style to use the gears and rev it more than cruising in top, and there is noticeably less smoke now. I see some smoke in the headlights behind me when the engine is cold in the morning, or if i give it a boot to overtake, but a lot less. Maybe you need a long fast run to get the turbo good and hot for an extended period so all the oil burns off.
    2001 A6 Avant 2.5TDi quattro Sport 180hp+TurboDynamics MD438 hybrid+Bosio Race683s+3" exhaust+Celtic Tuning remap - now with adamss24 replaced with runabout
    2007 BMW 535d AM Sport + Celtic remap
    2004 A4 Avant 1.9TDi quattro Sport 130hp + Superchip - sold & replaced by
    2005 Audi TT 1.8T
    1988 Yamaha FJ1200 120hp finally traded after 23 years for
    1986 Yamaha FJ100 (1300 barrels shhh!) with too many bits to mention
    2011 BMW 320d M Sport son #1
    2004 Suzuki SV650 S son #2

3rd Gear

Status
    Hi Fj, I have been up to Star again (Jim is still smiling about the engine swap you did), and see from your posts that you have moved... things going ok? Bet your pleased to be somewhere a little warmer now eh?
    Coming back to Audi with an A3 Tdi Sportback Quattro... but the 220bhp T5 was epic....

1st Gear

Status
    sorry ment 10k, not 1k, that would be excessive
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten

2000 B5 2.5tdi V6 (if only it were a quattro)

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by denzelburner
    The use of oil by the engine is normal, and it should be using about 1 litre to every 1k miles. The engine is designed to use a small amount of oil to lubricate the cylinder heads etc.
    Hope this helps
    This statement can not be right , if this is so then on my traverling around europe last year would have left my engine long dry.LOL

PS.........just seen your last post lol.

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by denzelburner
    sorry ment 10k, not 1k, that would be excessive
    But manufacturers do consider anything up to 1l per 1000 miles (possibly km which would be even worse) acceptable!