1.9tdi A3 burning oil

rws

Reaction score
Hi there. My a3 is burning a litre of oil every 1000 miles. The turbo was replaced about four months ago because of seal failure so i was told. There was oil coming out of the exhaust. Once the new turbo was fitted, Audi told me that the car would smoke a bit for a while to burn off the excess oil. After about 2000 miles the car still seems to be smoking, but only for about 20 seconds or so after initial startup. It is worse the longer the car has been left without being used. The car seems to be no loss of performance with the car and the fuel consumption is fine. The oil consumption is worrying. Any advice would be appreciated. :confused:

How old is the car.....and what the dealership say about the oil loss!!!

P.S..............and do you know it the cleaned out the intercooler and intake hoses etc.

The use of oil by the engine is normal, and it should be using about 1 litre to every 1k miles. The engine is designed to use a small amount of oil to lubricate the cylinder heads etc.
Hope this helps

I thought diesel fuel was oil!
So, oil use of 1litre for 1000 miles = 4 oil changes in 20,000 mile service intervals!

I have had 4 Audis and a Passat and none of them has ever used remotely close to a litre of oil per 1000 miles even at 150-200,000 miles. My A6 with its rebuilt engine and turbo smoked more when i got it back, i had put it down to pootling around slowly instead of the more usual high speed cruising. After about 2000 miles its had one 450 mile thrash, and i have changed my driving style to use the gears and rev it more than cruising in top, and there is noticeably less smoke now. I see some smoke in the headlights behind me when the engine is cold in the morning, or if i give it a boot to overtake, but a lot less. Maybe you need a long fast run to get the turbo good and hot for an extended period so all the oil burns off.

Hi Fj, I have been up to Star again (Jim is still smiling about the engine swap you did), and see from your posts that you have moved... things going ok? Bet your pleased to be somewhere a little warmer now eh?

denzelburner said:
The use of oil by the engine is normal, and it should be using about 1 litre to every 1k miles. The engine is designed to use a small amount of oil to lubricate the cylinder heads etc.
Hope this helps

This statement can not be right , if this is so then on my traverling around europe last year would have left my engine long dry.LOL

PS.........just seen your last post lol.

denzelburner said:
sorry ment 10k, not 1k, that would be excessive:think:

But manufacturers do consider anything up to 1l per 1000 miles (possibly km which would be even worse) acceptable!