Volks AutosChris Nott
    3rd Gear

Status

Most fuel efficient driving 'technique'?

I'm not talking about having a 'lead foot' rather which is better for fuel efficiency when pootling around town ...

A) Keep the car in a lower gear, just enough to be in the range of the turbo spooling up and actually doing something?

or

B) Select a gear so that the revs stay below the turbo range?

Just recently I've been keeping my car in 4th (and just in the range of the turbo) when around town doing 30/40mph and this seems to yeild better results than putting it in 5th (still not 'labouring' the engine) and staying just below the turbos range.... or it just may be my imagination!!

Anyone got an answer/opinion?

2. # ADS
    ADS

3rd Gear

Status
    Anyone?

Can I Borrow 1.4 Bhp off anyone please

Status
    I try to keep it under 3k and get there slowly. My 1.8t will give me 22mpg round town and maybe 28-30mpg when i do some B roads and longers trips too. Not good. Theres no petrol shortage anyway. my wage just about covers my petrol costs. lol
    A3 1.8T quattro Sport - Stainless Exhaust with Sports Cat- Tints - AMD Tuned 198.6 bhp, 217.4 ft/lb - Pretty Red Calipers

Diesel Power!

Status
    i tend to drive thro the gears quickly and mostly in 5th. ive been getting around 44mpg around town, which i think is quite impressive. just hard to keep of the tempation of putting my foot down. but since my clutch is nackard i havent had much choice.
    Audi A3 52 | 1.9TDI Quattro | Chipped 175 BHP | Hids |

VW + Audi mad

Status
    I don't think I ever the revs up to more than 3k unless I'm in a real hurry as there doesn't seem to be any point.....
    Around town I end up mostly staying in 4th as the car is quite high-geared and doesn't really like 5th at speeds below 35mph; there are so many speed cameras/camera vans around here 30 mph is the only option........
    With a tuning box fitted to my 110 it still returns over 50mpg , and no I don't drive like an old git .
    '99 Ming Blue A4 Avant TDi SE 110 + Dragon Performance Tuning Box
    Factory sunroof / Cruise / Aircon + Climate / Royale Blue leather

'72 1302LS Karmann Beetle Cabrio Silbermetallic

'63 Karmann Ghia Sunroof Coupe Pacific Blue