Redex Diesel Fuel System Cleaner

SimonP

Reaction score
Anyone know if using this Redex stuff on a 1.9 PD TDi 130 will be a disaster?

Our A4 avant seems to be churning out a bit too much black smoke recently I was wondering if this would help. It's done only 50k miles and still under warranty.

Thanks.

I say slosh it in. If you car blows up sue Redex ;)

Before you do that though, have you tried the old "Italilan tune-up"? Get the car warmed up, head to a motorway and redline it in third. Take a look out your rear view mirror and you should see a big cloud of smoke; hold it on the red line until it clears. Drop off the red line for a bit, then repeat until clear.

Thanks batwad. The italian tune up pretty much describes my normal driving style, esp as the family diesel is 95bhp down on my own car... :)

Pull the suction pipe off the EGR & block it....Et Voilà! No smoke!

Redex seems to impair performance while it is running through & smoke a little. I occasionally use Wynns injector cleaner which seems better.

If you dont have any boost problems, and you are experiencing black smoke on your PD130, i would check for the main culprit, which is 'burning excess oil' that has seeped through the turbo seals, and been blown through the boost pipes into the engine.

Drain the lower boost pipe (from turbo to intercooler)

This cause for your smoke is more likely if you use 'long life' oil servicing.